Wednesday, March 02, 2011

poke in the eye?

My letter to the editor appeared today here in the Winnipeg Free Press newspaper.
For those who haven't heard about this case, recently a judge decided that a Manitoba rape victim's clothing implied "consent" and decided not to assign the rapist ANY jail time. Here's the latest on the case.

Unfortunately, one of the newspaper columnists had some convoluted reasoning when it came to this case. Her conclusions involved thinking that knitters were safe from sexual assault. I wish it were so...but alas, that is just not the case.

On a lighter note, I have more to post this week--the professor took some lovely photos of Festival du Voyageur. He went with some friends last weekend. --I stayed home as the windchills were -40 this year. However, I look forward to sharing the photos with you!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

She did a good job of kicking that judge's argument to the curb, right till that last kick in the gut to us. Thank you for telling her we're a third of the women in the population; she needed to hear that.

And thank you for the heads-up. I've just sent her a letter of my own. Warm Hats Not Hot Heads marches on!

March 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home