Tuesday, February 22, 2011

view from the office

You may remember last summer a house was demolished right across from our house. Since then, I've been watching a new building take shape across the street. This is a building that will house 3 condos and even has garages in the back. It's quite an undertaking. Today is bright and sunny (and even warm for a Winnipeg February, at 16F/-9C). I decided to snap a photo so you can see the construction progress too. It's through a window, so that's why it is a bit smudgy.

Lately my world has gotten much smaller, so I haven't been able to come up with a lot of blog photos. The professor provides me with some, but a bright and sunny February day in my office is now worthy of a photo...let me explain. As the "pregnant with twins" experience progresses, I am learning more about my body and about the human body than I expected.

For instance, when I saw the doctor last, he pointed out that right now, in the middle of my second trimester pregnant with twins, I was experiencing the symptoms and physical size of a normal woman at the end of a normal singleton pregnancy. That, when I got to the third trimester, I would be in a place (in terms of size, symptoms, etc.) that most pregnant women never go. He told me this at a morning appointment and I must admit that it took me the rest of the work day to process the information and/or block it out. He probably just thought he was being honest with me, but I wasn't sure I wanted to know that information!

So, yes, here it is, week 24 and I can't lie, I am out of breath quite a bit these days. I take medicine for heartburn (which I have nearly continuously) and I have to eat in only small amounts--all the time. I have to rest a lot. I am outgrowing the maternity clothes. This experience is causing me to slow down and take notice. I do a lot of sitting still and I haven't been going out as much. I don't cook as much, either. I do a lot of reading, working, knitting, and hanging out with a dog or two.

That said, I do not want to have to give up my sunny 3rd floor office just yet! My house has 3 floors and a basement. Some days, I really need to limit my stair climbing, so I plan out my trips carefully and make little piles to bring from one floor to the next. (The professor does a lot of the transporting so I don't have to...) I bring snacks with me when I go up to my office, because a quick trip to the kitchen (1st floor) is really out of the question on an hourly basis!

When I get settled on the futon (note the extra pillow to support my back!), I don't get up very much. The laptop gets put on my lap and that rolling stool becomes my foot stool. My feet are up and I start working and answering emails.

I am also slowly--very slowly--trying to tidy things up in here. This is because I suspect that someone may end up staying in this room and sleeping on the futon when it is time for the babies to arrive. Perhaps it will be the dog sitter, or a relative--it's hard to tell. I also don't know when or if I will no longer make it up to my office anymore. While I don't keep things very tidy normally, I'd rather not leave it in a mess for months, either!

There's no reason to suspect I won't be able to get up to my 3rd floor office. I'm in good health and no one in the medical profession has said a thing to me about bed rest. No one with any medical training has said anything much to me about twins and how they often are premature. However, lately I've been constantly reminded by others that I should "prepare" for all this. The others are relatives, acquaintances--random, well-meaning people who don't actually know the status of my health or well-being. Usually they are doing this long distance, so if I do have a problem, they won't be here to help, either. They just want to worry me with scary information that I probably don't need to hear--at all. If something more serious should happen, I'll experience it myself soon enough. No need to anticipate what probably won't happen...yet, I hear a lot of people who can't wait to tell me what they think is "the worst." I can't see how this is helpful, but it surely does produce needless anxiety.

Every day that I go up to my cluttered, sunny 3rd floor lair makes me happy. I am trying to clean up, really I am, simply because I'd feel embarrassed if anyone had to maneuver around here right now but me.

What I am hoping is that the visiting person who ends up staying in this room appreciates all the fibery books and supplies on hand. Imagine all that reading material... I'd love to be put up in someone else's studio--but in the meanwhile...

If you get an email from me in the next few weeks, please keep hoping it comes from up here. You know, from my sunny 3rd floor retreat, where Harry the dog usually sleeps on the futon next to me. I hear one can do email and write/edit on bedrest, but I'd really rather not find out!

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Artful Gathering said...

Best wishes for a safe and healthy delivery.

February 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger AdrieneJ said...

Sounds like a very tiring time! It's not great that everyone is telling you about the dark and dreary side, but I'm very confident that there will be lots of really cool days ahead, and lots and lots of happiness, too. Best wishes!

February 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger k.thedoula said...

shall we discuss my friend with not one but TWO sets of twins?

Set #1 born 22 months after their sister.
at home, presenting breech, second vertex.
5.5 lbs and 5.11 lbs.
at 39 weeks.

Second set born four years after these boys.
6.1 and 5. 11 lbs
41 weeks and a few days... we don't discuss this.

Neither was bedrest order, okay a bit of 'slow down!' on the day to day issues.

Second set she went unassisted because the midwife couldn't attend her homebirth. And the hospitals would have been a nightmare for her.

I know this is not for you (the homebirth/unassisted thing).
BUT remember: thousands of twins have been born, full term and healthy, oddly... even without the benefit of a surgical extraction.

I am rooting for you four. I know in you and the Professor are doing everything to give these little ones the best start to their life!
psssssst is it bad I wanna stay in your fibre book cluttered room?
:-)

February 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I would so be right at home in that room!

My little sister had identical twins, three weeks early and healthy and happy, and I so much loved getting to hold both of them together when they were babies! Nowadays, they could pick me up if they wanted.

February 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

Do not envy you the size thing at all. But just keep doing exactly what you are doing - you sound like you've got it all sorted. Tidying and preparing as much as possible is always a good idea for anything (if sometimes 'ideal' rather than 'achievable'). And share how you're getting on as much as you can.

February 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

One thing is for certain - each and every pregnancy is unique. Turn a deaf ear to the "tales of woe". I am thinking your 3rd floor office might be proper bait for finding someone to help you when the babies come. In fact, if I lived closer I would be very tempted to trade my assistance for the books, some fiber, and some spinning lessons. Surely there is someone closer who is as taken with your treasures as I am! Prayers for the next third of your pregnancy and beyond.

February 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

It sounds like you have everything under control. I know people mean well, but I don't get the "unsolicited" advice thing! All I can say is (and here's some unsolicited advice!): continue to enjoy every moment!

February 24, 2011 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

That "scary pregnancy" stuff people seem to feel compelled to share isn't limited in its offering to folks who are expecting twins. It seems to go with the territory of being pregnant, regardless.

You're doing all the right stuff (i.e., being aware of yourself and taking care of mind, body, and spirit), so ignore 'em.

February 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home