Monday, November 08, 2010

1 pair of socks+other random stuff

The other night I finished my Mary Jane Socks (pattern found in Fiber Gathering) and I tried them on before I'd woven in all the ends. Before I knew it, the professor snapped a couple of photos. While the socks themselves aren't exactly the right color here-they are much darker purple in real life- the professor thought the tableau was perfect.

Note the copy of the book, the socks, and Harry the dog snoozing across the room. Beyond, you can see my Canadian Production Wheel. If you happen to have a copy of Fiber Gathering, you may have seen this pattern, these feet, and that spinning wheel before. Quick! Go look at it--does it look familiar? (hint: It should.) Only difference is the shade of yarn used in the socks themselves!

In other news, the professor installed a new wireless router over the weekend to our replace our 7 year old router. Who knew wireless could be this fast? Well, now I do. Whew, it sure does make downloading big files easier!

The other random thing (I'm listing them in threes here) is that yesterday, I was talking on the phone to my very nice knitting buddy, Christine. She's the kind of person who I really value as a friend...as my mom would say, she's got her head screwed on straight. (translation? Her priorities seem really ethical to me and make good common sense.) So, there we are, talking, and I look out the front window. Uh oh.

Ten skateboarders between the ages of, say, 14-20, drive up in two cars. They suddenly start using the construction site across the street as a skate park. They move some wood to make a ramp. They are doing tricks off the second story of an unfinished structure. You know, the kind with big holes and concrete everywhere? The kind of building where the construction workers are working hard every single work day. They didn't deserve that.

I got to make a wee little phone call to the cops then. Christine let me call her back, cause, you know, she is a nice person. Plus, I think seeing someone crack his head open would really turn my stomach. All that blood? Yuck. On a practical note, if they hurt themselves while being stupid, well, we're all responsible for the medical bill here in Canada, aren't we?

Luckily, the police don't seem to be busy on Sunday afternoon, and maybe someone else called too, because they chase the skateboarders away not once, but twice. As Christine would say, Good on ya, police guys!

So, three random good things--I hope this doesn't mean I'm due for anything randomly bad to happen. Anything good happening with you? Do tell!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger AdrieneJ said...

I am seriously digging those socks, especially those picot edges! Cute!

And I think it's important to make sure we voice our disagreement with disrespectful and anit-social behaviour. One voice inspires others to raise their own.

November 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

gorgeous socks!!!!

November 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Twenty years ago I watched a 12 year old come back a long hard road from a major head injury after, in his case, being hit by a drunk. Six weeks in a coma, six weeks in brain rehab after not recognizing his own family. Never came entirely back, but he was able to graduate from college and get a job.

You stopped those kids from having to go through that. When kids' mobility exceeds mentality, they need all the help they can get to grow up in one piece.

Love the socks!

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

November 15, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home