Friday, April 30, 2010

A real New York moment

My sister-in-law, a lawyer (smart cookie!) took a day off work to give us a day on the town.

We went to the Folk Art Museum where we saw some interesting crazy quilts and samplers and an exhibit featuring Henry Darger's work--he seemed to have had an inappropriate focus on little girls in his art, in my opinion. The professor's words? "That man was mental."

Then we went to Anthropologie for 20 minutes of sale rack shopping. --what can I say? My sister-in-law has great taste... Although she didn't find a formal dress right away, a pair of pants jumped off the rack into my hands. At $9.95 for a $118 pair of trousers? Well, I'm wearing those pants right now. Don't know how that happened...

Then another jump on the subway cross town to Kalustyan's, an amazing spice and speciality store. Loaded up with aleppo pepper, decaffeinated Turkish coffee, and some fabulous Middle Eastern sweets to fortify ourselves, we headed back up the island of Manhattan.

We met other family members for lunch at Community Food and Juice where we had sustainable, local and delicious meals. Oh, and we sat near another table where I recognized a famous actor. Mark Feuerstein had his sweet potato fries right near us. (Whoa.)

Then we all bundled into the car later in the day to go to an intimate family party in New Jersey. Not everybody could come--there were only maybe 40 of us from the professor's family--on a school night, no less, just so we could all see each other before the professor and I came south to DC and Virginia to see my family.

OK, no pictures here, but just one snapshot of the whirlwind adventure. Hope you can get a vicarious taste of our experiences from this!

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Various members of my family you could wave hi to both there and around DC. Enjoy your trip, wish I were there!

--AlisonH

April 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Mmmm it all sounds yummy and fun! Did you get any halvah? I luv that stuff. (and the turkish delight!)

April 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Sounds like great fun! Thanks for the vicarious adventures.

May 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Ooh, Henry Darger? I would have loved to see that. Yes, he was clearly crazy but what amazing work he created out of a very sad life. In the Realms of the Unreal is a very interesting documentary about him.

May 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home