Sunday, February 14, 2010

squeaky

This post may be a bit quirky. I am feeling a bit wobbly--had some bad allergies/asthma earlier today. Due to the nice medicines I took, I can now breathe well. (Hurray!) However, I am feeling a bit disconnected from my toes. Off-kilter. :) Most of the day's activities were shelved so that I could sit quietly and avoid any missteps!

The first big news is only what you might expect from the daughter of an automotive engineer. When I got my big floor loom, I was thrilled by it and threw myself into weaving. What I didn't love was the horrible squeals that happened when I put my foot on the treadles to lift harnesses. I asked around, and my friends said there weren't many places to oil on a loom and --don't those metal heddles sound noisy? Well, when something squeaks that much, it turns out that there are moving parts and places to oil and yes, those heddles are noisy--but it wasn't the heddles.

I started out with sewing machine/spinning wheel oil, but I just couldn't seem to eradicate the noise. Finally, the professor came back from the hardware store with this spray lubricant guaranteed not to stain or harm wood, metal and plastic. I used that spray can stuff so much yesterday that I thought the smell alone might be dangerous in a closed up room in winter! All of a sudden...I hit it. The squeal-ly places. Silence. The squeaks were gone.

Wow. In fact, it was so quiet today that the professor didn't even realize I'd been weaving. Hurray!

In other quirky news....you may remember that back in July when we moved to Winnipeg, we drove most of the way here in one car. Our friend John drove the professor's car (and all our houseplants) up to northern Minnesota for us. He left the car at his parents' cottage, and we picked it up there. Today I got a very sweet Valentine's tale:

Our friend drove up to Minnesota, but stopped on the way to visit his relatives' farm. We'd heard a lot about this farm in the past, but we'd never seen a photo. Until today. Click here for a very sweet (and large) Valentine....I've also been wondering if it was stinky, but suspect that in this cold, it's probably not smelly. You'll understand this if you hop over to read this story. It's well worth it. Enjoy! :)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

Awww, that's really cute! Happy Valentine's Day!

It must be a relief to have gotten rid of the squeaks! They would be driving me nuts!

February 14, 2010 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi Joanne,
How nice to weave squeek free :) So glad you could solve that mystery. I'll remember the spray lube.
That was a lovely valetine and productive as well :)

February 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Reminds me of when I brought my wheel to a spinning/knitting group, and had the whole room wincing and muttering and finally complaining out loud.

It is? But I oiled it... I had no idea, folks, I'm too deaf!

So your friend is related to that couple--small world!

February 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home