Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lost:

One sturdy, portable folding black music stand.
This music stand was given to me by the religious school class I taught. The kids and their parents gave it to me in the early '90's. It is well traveled, much loved and has lived in upstate New York, Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky. It's new home should be in Winnipeg. Somewhere.

Last seen during the packing of my house in Kentucky.

Note: This is one of those things you don't need to unpack right away. However, it eventually occurs to me that it might be useful to have it, say, when I'm playing music. Thus began a "*pop up from the couch, do a focused search, return to the couch, defeated, start doing something else that might have been productive, and then....*return to asterisk and repeat" sort of day.

The professor says, --and yes, this might be logical, since it was stored in my office before--
"Do you think, (long long pause) maybe... it's in a box of wool?"

Well yes. It might be, clever man... I've looked briefly through the 30 boxes up here on the third floor of the house and I can't find it. I've found numerous other skeins of yarn, stashed where I least expected them. I've found all my boxes of roving, formerly used to pack photos. (Photos still not up on the wall. Yes, I know, we're working on that.) Brief moment spent wondering if that roving could possibly be compressed into, say, 5 or 6 boxes instead of the 10 it's in now.

Rediscovery of multiple bags of wool used as padding in other bags. Oh! I wondered where this Rambouillet went to... (no, actually, I'd forgotten I'd had all that. Left my mind completely.)

I hate losing stuff. Yet, I'm feeling that the only way to find this might be to empty every single box and reorganize the whole household. Oy, I'm not up for that. I just moved! It should be here....somewhere?

(Yes, I'd planned an entirely different sort of blog post, but now I can't focus. I can't find the #$)(%#@ music stand.--add your own frustrating bad word in as it comes to you. I'm sure you know how this feels...)

Update:
Found after much searching, one music stand, carefully tucked away in the back of a desk drawer. I spun Icelandic wool and thought about this a long time. I checked every box. Then? I remembered drawers. Thank goodness for drawers. Finally! (and yes, I would have likely stayed awake until I found it...so good this happened by 7pm.)

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Isn't it maddening when you can't find something? I look where I think it should be, then try to imagine where I think I may have thought it should go when I put it away. Unfortunately, the 2 aren't always the same place. And my mind doesn't alway think on the same wave lengths. That, too, is maddening.

Hope you find your music rack soon.

November 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Oh dear! I hope you find it! On my move from Oregon to California, my sewing machine disappeared. Never found it. I hope you'll find your music stand.

November 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger ilana said...

i too am incredibly frustrated at even the thought of losing something. should you not be able to find it soon you can comfortably lay blame on the moving company. although, i'm pretty sure you just want to find the *&%^#@! by now. sorry. hope it turns up.

November 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

So glad you found it safe and sound! It was entirely appropriate to have been supporting the lovely music of the fleeces; alas, only being carefully stored in a drawer. The fleece did make a better story (grin).

November 25, 2009 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Donna D said...

So glad you found it. That lost feeling is terrible. Are you doing an American Thanksgiving tomorrow?

November 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Oh YAY...! I'm glad you found it! The one thing we lost when we moved cross-country, and never found again, was the box that had all my piano music. Priceless, and never recovered.

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

November 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home