Monday, October 05, 2009

slowly but surely

Every day, I'm slowly adding a Knit Green design or two over on Ravelry. Here are the couple of the designs from the book that I've posted recently. The scarf is called the Gator Gaiter. (A Gaiter goes around the neck, and this one has pointy ends that remind me of an alligator...hence the name!) What I like best about this scarf design is that:

1) It can be knit with fingering weight yarn, doubled
OR
2) It can be knit with DK weight yarn.
3) It's textured enough to be interesting knitting without being too complicated to figure out. I memorized the pattern quickly and knit away on this.
4) There's a short version for those who like decorative scarves, and a long version for those of us who live in cold climes. (Have I mentioned I now live in Winnipeg? It was 1 degree Celsius this morning. Just above freezing!)

Another design I've posted is called the Cozy Zip-Up Cardigan. This is a unisex design and it comes in multiple sizes from XS (36") to XXL (57"). Sadly, the studly model does not come with the book or pattern! However, this design knits up very quickly and is very cuddly. I tried to imagine my husband, the professor, and his preferences when I designed this. I've knit only 2 sweaters for him, since there aren't many patterns for folks who need a 56" sweater. (That's 52"+4" ease) With #13(9mm) needles, this project will fly by!

I've also taken the plunge on another part of this project. Ravelry has affinity groups and forums for discussion. For months, I've been trying to convince myself to start a group. Every time I considered it, my inner dwarf (Bashful) popped up. I just felt too self-conscious to do it! Well, a friend of mine stepped right in and set it up for me! If you're on this ginormous knitting database already, please, join in!
This "slowly but surely" technique is the way we're tackling the rest of our moving in as well. Every day, something gets hung on the walls, or unpacked, or fixed. We find out something new about the house...or about Winnipeg. Yesterday, we closed storm windows and tried to get into the attic. The storm windows? successful, for the most part. The attic? Well, let's just say we haven't gotten in there yet. No idea if it has sufficient insulation, since we haven't found a way in yet!
The only thing that hasn't been going slowly is our social lives. We've been to two sukkahs to celebrate Sukkot so far. We're going to a third one tonight! We also got to go to a special wine and cheese party where lots of people brought their homemade wines and there was a wine tasting competition! That was the weekend. In comparison? The weekdays look relaxing...!
Have you seen that moon?! Gosh it's full and beautiful...hope you can see it where you are, too.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I'm looking forward to getting my copy of your book. I think the long version of your scarf will be just the pattern for next year's Red Scarf Project. I already put this year's contributions in the mail, so I'm not tempted to start another scarf just yet.

Drat! You had to spoil the sweater project by not including the manly hunk modeling. I almost ordered some male cologne from Avon once...until my friend told me A Rod didn't come with it!

October 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Cathy, you are so funny! The publisher is probably missing out on loads of sales by not including the yarn, finished garments, models, and even the furniture with the books, right!! (You'd be amazed what it is people are hoping to buy for under $20 US!)

PS: I actually find some scarf patterns very boring--so I make sure to say when something kept my attention! I hope you enjoy it when you get to knitting scarves again.

October 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

The moon was so full this morning. It just lit up the sky. It's hard for me to fathom that you're seeing the same moon. Chalk that up to my un-scientic thought process. I guess I think you should see a different one since you're so far away. (ps...I really do know there's only 1)

October 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having seen the actual sweater, I know that cardigan should not be limited to knitting for men. It's a great, versatile piece that women would love, too!

October 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I am dreadfully behind on blog-reading, but yes, I did see the moon. It was fabulous!

And also, what a bummer that sweater doesn't come furnished! :)

October 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home