Friday, August 07, 2009

Perfection...

Small things make me very happy.
About 5 minutes after we'd finished assembling the futon, Harry the dog was ready to start trying it out.
I am now able to unpack more of my office stuff...
To respond to some of the comments--I'm able to email some of you, which I've done. The short answers are:
1) I think the gelato place is open in the winter time, but we'll have to wait and see. Sadly, cream of chestnut appears to be a monthly special!
2) The Forks is a neat place, but it's only one of many very cool things in Winnipeg, in my opinion. For one thing, everyone is very warm and welcoming here. There are fabulous summer festivals, a ton of ethnic restaurants, and the entire city is very accessible...no enormous commutes or traffic jams, so far.
For those who haven't been, the Forks is a series of big buildings with food vendors, shops, and tourist stuff. It's right near the forks in the rivers, and there are water taxis, river paths, and a very cool First Nations gathering circle. There's also a world-class skate park, a prairie restoration park, and a lot of public art. You can see a few photos of it here.
3) Kristy is an amazing resource! Kristy, if you're listening? Could you drop me an email? Kristy has kindly explained the potholes, stinky smells, and other details in her comments on the last post... and I hope we'll be real "in person" friends soon.
And about Folklorama...we've now been to the Philippine, Métis, Greek and Israeli Pavillions....every single one of those was terrific!
We've also gotten a delicious farm share with Stone Lane Orchard and had our first dinner guests over last night!
So, it seems everyone is making themselves "to home" here.
(That would be Harry, Sally, and the sheep toy, sharing my bed. You can see their crates on the very edges of the photo.)

Now back to unpacking...Have a good weekend! Say hey in the comments, ok?!

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

"Hey!"

The link to The Forks didn't work for me.

I,too, find it difficult to believe that anyone has worse potholes than the Pittsburgh area (from the last post).

Oh, and what is a gelato?

August 7, 2009 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

Hey!

I love unpacking and settling in! I'm glad it's all going so well for you.

August 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Hey! Hope your weekend's going well.

PghC

August 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad to hear that you are settling in, and finding parts in Winnipeg.

Jame

August 10, 2009 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Well, it's not the weekend anymore, but I'll say 'hey' anyway!

Hope things are going well for you!

August 11, 2009 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

My neighbor's chestnuts are beginning to rain on the sidewalk; I'm wishing I could mail you one and share.

Our local ice cream store makes its own and makes a seasonal pumpkin we liked so much, we once cleared room in our freezer for a whole tub of it and asked if they would make it for us. They did. It was very good, and very fun to have it around for months, but... After awhile... We branched out to exotics like, you know, vanilla, at times.

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

August 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger AdrieneJ said...

I'm from Winnipeg, and it's so cool to see the city from a newcomer's perspective. I'm actually coming home for a visit soon, and reading your posts has got me more excited than ever.

And yes, the gelato stores are open in the wintertime!

August 19, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home