Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Canada Day

In honor of Canada Day, I was reminiscing about the fun time we had last year visiting Winnipeg on July 1st. (scroll back to the beginning of July to get my full "first time to Winnipeg" posts.) The professor suggested I tell you this particular story about what's been going on lately.

On Monday, we received an enormous set of papers for buying our new home in Manitoba. Essentially, it was all the papers for closing on our new house from the lawyer. Bright and early on Tuesday morning, we went up to our local credit union branch to do all the signing in front of a notary. The professor wanted to go there particularly because, he explained, they all knew him personally.

The joke was on him when the notary smiled up at me and it was my friend (and talented artist) Myra! The professor is an exceedingly careful person and makes me look downright haphazard. (for those who know me, this is hard to believe but totally true.) So, he insisted on being in charge of all the paperwork, although we both were signing it. All went very well until...

We got to the piece of paperwork that asked for another notary to notarize the authenticity of the first notary's work. No kidding!! Now that's careful! Luckily, this bank had two notaries, and the professor pointed out that notary #2 had opened our bank account with us, six years ago. He again felt glad we'd chosen our local credit union branch. At that point, we were using the services of roughly half the employees!

All seemed great until last night, when the professor went through the paperwork one last time before sending it back northward. Then, he found the other piece of paper we needed notarized.

"No problem!" I said, with a smile. (because I had left it all to him, I was just cooperating...and packing boxes. 12 boxes yesterday..) It was another fun chance to see my friend Myra! Today, we hope, we will be able to send off the house paperwork to Canada.

We can conclude from this:
1) We've got something to learn from Canadians about being extra, extra sure that everything is just right.
2) It's just right that we didn't send out the paperwork yesterday, since everyone is celebrating Canada Day today! No one would have been in the office to receive it.
3) The Yarn Harlot does a far better job of celebrating Canada Day via blogpost, as a Canadian, than I (a US citizen) can. Maybe one day I'll get dual citizenship. I aspire, maybe one day, to being as careful as both the professor and the paperwork that requires that the notary's signature be notarized....but gosh, that's careful!

For now, I'm back to the boxes. We're up to 251. I just packed up the spindles from both of my Great Wheels, so no more spinning on those until they're in my new home. Only 9 days until the moving truck comes...and that's the news.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

How many of the 251 boxes are books? Just curious :)

Happy Canada Day! Salud to the very careful country.

July 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Happy Canada Day~ In triplicate!

Hope the GW's make the move ok :-)

(esp. your antique one...wonder how many times it has moved around?)

July 2, 2009 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Hooray for Canada Day! It was beautiful in Winnipeg yesterday, nice and warm and sunny without being too terribly hot. The fireworks here just don't compare to 4th of July fireworks, but still a nice light display. My favorite festival is just around the corner though. Next summer you've got to make a point of going to the Fringe Festival! Local, national and international theatre, with tickets being no more than $9, local vendors with some amazing merchandise, free mainstage shows and beer gardens. It really doesn't get any better!

July 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Happy Canada day- I have got everything crossed for a smooth move -how are the dogs reacting to all of the packing?????

July 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

hey you, yes, we canadians are very, very careful, about everything, especially me. :-) Good luck with the packing and say hi to the mosquitoes for me. My move is finally over, now comes the task of figuring out where to put all my stuff! At least you will have an empty house to stuff your stuff into.

July 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home