Friday, June 26, 2009

understatements

We're trying to keep things, umm, as normal as possible around here. So, despite that, things are changing fast in the packing world and I'm having a hard time keeping up. That means I haven't managed to get back to most of the commenters...I'm sorry! After all, the moving truck comes in 14 days. 2 weeks. No wonder, right?

Here are some understatements for your entertainment.
We've packed some boxes.
(they are everywhere!!)
Over 200, at last count. The professor has revised his estimate of final boxes packed upwards to 250 or so. I hedged somewhere in the middle, between 200-250, but he might be right.

I gave a small book talk at the local public library.
Yes, very small. While I was packing, I forgot to try to convince all my friends in town to come. It was, after all, over 95F that day, a rough day for fiber arts...but air conditioned at the library... OK, only 2 people came. Lovely, kind ladies who wanted to hear me talk about Fiber Gathering, of course, but only 2. I talked my heart out to them, they both bought books, and I was very grateful.
Hint: If you want to support authors so they can afford to keep writing about knitting, buy those books! I hear that Knit Picks is having a big sale on books this week, or wander over to the right sidebar and click on those Amazon links. I am, as always, grateful for your support, and a little embarrassed to have to mention this stuff. Harry and Sally, the dogs, appreciate every effort towards affording their fancy duck and potato kibble. :)

We are now just tenants here in Bowling Green.

Yes, we are very lucky people. We've sold our house. Hurray! We're very pleased about that one, because carrying two mortgages is more than your average professor and writer can usually manage.

I hear that Knit Green is getting some good attention.

Right now, Knit Green is just a few packed boxes (seen here) of knitted projects and book proofs in my house. However, I hear from my editor that there is definite interest in this new book! It's coming out in late September--and you can actually already pre-order it...just click on that little book title to the right.

Packing requires some exercise.

I have no need for extra aerobic activity these days. I am getting muscles like Popeye. For instance, stuffing and containing 2 flannel duvet (comforter) covers in an overnight bag took such effort that I had to sit down, rest a bit, and write this post. Starting with that stomach virus I got in early May, I've been losing weight at a healthy pace... for me. I might even be fit when I am done unpacking all this. In any event, I'm stinky, sticky and sweaty. (It's hot here.)

I appear to have quite a bit of yarn.

You may note that I do not account for my stash on Ravelry. I don't show it all off to visitors. How much yarn is in my stash? That's MY business. (after all, excess is not an understatement...) So, here's a very revealing photo. There are 9 of these tupperware containers here. Full of yarn..both commercial and handspun. Oh, and that's not all my yarn. I cannot wait to start digging into it seriously in Winnipeg. More warm stuff! Immediately! For everyone!

The best part about this storage technique is that I just put tape on them, number them, add them to the inventory and move on. Already boxed! A brilliant thing. I'm saving that for a day when I'm feeling like I can't pack one more box...

In terms of final numbers, how many boxes do you predict? Is your stash bigger or smaller than this portion of mine? Anything else you'd like to add?

(I see that roughly 40 folks read the blog every day. Yet only 9 usually comment. Wonder why.....Is it because I don't manage to write back to every comment?) On second thought, I think it's because I smell bad after packing all day. Yup, that must be it!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Joann, I'm a chronic lurker! I read every entry, believe me...

I think my stash might rival yours, although part of that is your fault!

I bet you'll have 245 boxes.

My brain is frazzled...science is hurting my brain today. And I don't think you need to write back to every comment! Save the energy for planning woolly knitting projects for Canada!

June 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Lorajean Kelley said...

de-lurking here too. I'm guessing 269 boxes. My personal stash used to be bigger than that. I've done a lot of parring down. I dye and spin so it's hard to have a huge stash when the business takes up a lot of garage space. Sock Summit might ruin me though.

June 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm a lurker, too, with an occasional comment. But, since there's another Cathy that also comments, you might not realize that there really are 2 of us. I certainly don't expect a personal email response. If I would happen to ask a question, feel free to respond in your next post.

My stash is nowhere close to what yours is. And I'm thinking DH might pass out if he ever thought it might reach those proportions. He thinks I have too much as it is. He's not a knitter & just doesn't get it.

I'll guess 253 boxes. And your new book is on my Amazon wish list.

June 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I'm going to go with 239 boxes, and I must say that you have more yarn than me, which comes as something of a relief!

June 26, 2009 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger ilana said...

sure you smell great! yeah on the sale!!!! and the packing!

June 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Lisa in western MA said...

...delurking, too....
I read your blog and a handful of others for relaxation at the end of my [very long] workdays.... Usually I'm too tired to comment, but I enjoy your blog! Good luck with your move! I probably have at least as much yarn as what you've shown us, but I prefer not to 'fess up either. I predict 243 boxes, BTW.

June 26, 2009 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Soyun Park said...

This is my first time to visit you. Nice blog and great story. And.. now I am leaving a comment because ... your blog is lovely.

June 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM  
Blogger Mary in VA said...

Hi Joann,

Somehow those pics make the move seem way more real (and daunting) than words! I rarely comment on any blogs I read, not sure why. Always enjoy my visits here though!

June 27, 2009 at 3:53 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Boxes: 301. Why? Because those last few things drive one crazy and require more boxes than anyone ever imagined.

June 27, 2009 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

I'm one of the 9 usual commenters.

Total boxes: 270
Total boxes of fiber: 25
Total boxes of books: can you beat my 53 shipped across the Pacific Ocean?

The fact that you have 200 boxes packed and are 14 days away from departure means you are actually in good shape, moving wise. And yes, packing, when you do it yourself, is great exercise. (Ask me how I would know--more than 25 moves into my marriage)

June 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's because you have bashed everyone in this town and a party is underway the day after you leave! I suspect 40+ people will attend.

June 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

Your stash is amazing. Mine fills only one large drawer and the overflow is in a plastic bag on the floor. heh. Once again, Poor Student. xD

June 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm a lurker too. I rarely comment on anyone's blog.

June 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

278 and laughing that someone already beat me to 270. As for comments, the average for most blogs is actually around 1-2%.

June 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Kristy said...

I came across your blog while doing a Google search for spinning classes here in Winnipeg, and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts! Can't wait to see what you think of Canada, or more specifically, Winnipeg winters. You'll go through that stash pretty quickly just trying to stay warm!

June 29, 2009 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

LOL about the other Cathy - I think there's actually 3 of us now but the other other Cathy hasn't found (or at least commented) on your blog. I get many more private comments then publicly on the blog. I guess it's coz many people don't have blogs? Dunno. But there it is.

My stash fills a 12' x 3' closet as well as 3 dressers (4 drawers per dresser). I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to live forever.

Soon you will be closer to me...well, just a bit north rather then quite a bit to the east.

June 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

I just read anonymous's comment and am horrified. They just held up a mirror that only everyone else can see them in, because clearly, they don't. Wow. Anonymous: how COULD you?! Cruelty has no place.

July 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home