Tuesday, May 12, 2009

one's own bed

This is a view of my best friend's parents' home in Sutton, Vermont. Each of those terraces is a part of their gardens. To the left of the house (not pictured) is the apple orchard. It's not usual for me to skip posting for a whole week. However, this teaching/booksigning/book talk trip really knocked the stuffing out of me! I'm home now in Kentucky, after a flight from New England (Monday) and a 723 mile drive (today). I have one day home before we hit the road again to go check out houses in Winnipeg.... Cause we're moving to Winnipeg this summer and need someplace to live!

I've figured out that in May, I'll only be home in my own house for about one week. That said, I had the pleasure of staying in my parents' house and my best friend's house in Vermont. These houses were as close to home as somebody else's house can get. That was a good thing, too, because my charming nephews (3 and 7 months) bestowed upon me not one but two bad viruses while I was travelling... (no swine flu here, just two garden variety preschooler bugs) I've mostly recovered but if you have to be totally sick away from home, it's nice feeling comfortable and not self-conscious. I was also the lucky houseguest at a very kind friend's beautiful home in New Hampshire. All in all, I think I can say, ummm, I'm getting around.

Nothing, however, is as good as being welcomed home by two dogs and a husband who clearly missed me. The house looks well-kept, the lawn's been mowed, my bedsheets are clean and I cannot wait to hop in them! More soon as I recover from this long journey and head off to Canada for the next one!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Donna Druchunas said...

I know what you mean. The travel is fun and fulfilling but there's nothing like coming home at the end of a long trip!

May 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Deborah Robson said...

So glad to hear you are enjoying home, even if briefly, and that we got to visit in Maryland. Sleep on the plane, too?

May 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

...be it ever so humble..

Glad you are home safe, hope you are feeling all better and well!

May 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

Home safe and sound--keep working on the sound... Loved the picture of the Vermont house; they just don't make'em like that in California.

And I'm very glad your younger nephew is seven months old now!

May 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home