Thursday, May 14, 2009

alpaca hat

Well, I finally managed to upload photos of the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool festival
...and it turns out I took even fewer photos than I'd thought! (And? They are all alpacas! That includes the photos of my uncle, who I saw last Saturday. He posed with a camelid of some kind--llama or alpaca--for his family portraits!)

I caught a really funny pushmi-pullyu image (remember the Dr. Dolittle books by Hugh Lofting?) of what is really two alpacas hanging out close to each other.

There were also these lovely gray and white alpacas, before they'd been shorn.

All this reminds me of a story, now years old, that became this design, the I'll Pack a Hat. (Click the link to see the brief version of the story.) We've arrived in Winnipeg...and we had a very quiet afternoon/evening to recover from the journey. Leaving home at 4:30 AM and travelling until 1:30 can be tough on the body! It was 0 C(32F) when we arrived--and I was so relieved that I'd insisted on packing my wool peacoat AND a knitted hat, scarf and mittens. In Kentucky, it was over 70F yesterday. Our roses and honeysuckle are blooming in May. Even so, in Winnipeg, I definitely wore my coat when we walked a couple of blocks to an Indian Restaurant for dinner! There's an unusual (for May) cold snap happening here.
Tomorrow, we head off to search for houses with a fabulous real estate agent...and everyone's been so friendly to us! That includes lovely emails from Winnipeggers who knit and spin who want to welcome us ...home. What a sweet way to begin our househunting visit.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous AlisonH said...

Oh, that's so wonderful! And I'm glad you're equipped for the trip: I househunted in March in California, expecting hot weather, and froze in the cold rain, years ago. Glad you're prepared.

May 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home