Thursday, April 30, 2009

Honey, I'm home...

Thank you, dear readers, for the reassurance regarding feeling betwixt and between. I appreciate having company during my "waiting" period. In the meanwhile....I've made it safely to Virginia. I drove 716 miles yesterday. It was a long, long (did I say long?) and rainy drive. Eleven and a half hours, but really 12.5 hours, because of the time change from Central to Eastern time. I left home at a little before 7 AM, and now I am at my parents' house.

In between, I saw miles and miles of spectacular rolling countryside, flowering spring trees and greenery, horses, cows, and even...sheep. The most interesting livestock:
1 herd of minature horses
1 enormous hillside full of meat goats (maybe pygmies, but hard to tell from the car)
1 large flock of Suffolk? sheep (black head, white body, as seen from a distance)
1 small flock of extremely woolly sheep in need of shearing

Sadly, I saw two loose and lost dogs on highways, and a third that had already been hit by a car. I struggled each time with whether to stop and do something about it, but given the distances I had to drive, I kept going. I hope someone else helped them this time.

You'll note the lack of photos here. I couldn't drive and take pictures. For the safety of everyone on the Cumberland Parkway, I-75, I-40, I-81, and I-66, you'll be relieved that I didn't!

I did however eat a lot of chocolate with espresso in it, spiced paprika almonds, and fruit roll ups on my journey. My stomach is in recovery today. :)

Now, on to the big show! Here's my official book schedule again. If you live in the DC area, I hope to see you!

Thursday, April 30th, 7:30 pm
I'll be giving my first book talk in Northern Virginia! I'll be at Temple Rodef Shalom in Falls Church, Virginia. This will be a special presentation prepared for the congregation where I grew up, complete with a trunk show and book signing. Everyone is welcome, it's free, AND I hear there will be snacks! Bring your knitting!

Friday, May 1, 2-5 pm
A book signing at Nature's Yarns, a lovely yarn shop in Fairfax, Virginia...can't wait!

Sunday, May 3, 1-3pm
A book signing at Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival in Howard County, Maryland. I'll be at Carol Leigh's Hillcreek Fiber Studio. (I'll also be checking out the festival, so if you bump into me before or after the signing, say hey!)

I will try to shoot photos for the next post or two as well. Now that I'm not driving...it should be safer!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Glad you made it safely. That's a lot of driving! Good luck with all your talks. Wish I were closer to at least 1 of them.

April 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

I'm glad you're safely there. 700+ miles is a lot! I did 600 for four days straight and was exhausted at the end of it.

Rest, relax and enjoy the tour!

April 30, 2009 at 3:53 PM  
Anonymous AlisonH said...

That's a long way to drive alone. Glad you made it okay, and I wish I were back there back home too!

May 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home