Thursday, February 19, 2009

creative dreaming










caption: Sally the dog demonstrates dreaming while
napping on the couch.

For me, the biggest excitement of designing is dreaming of a project. Sometimes when I can't go to sleep at night, I design things in my mind until I can quiet things down in my brain. However, for a long while now, all my designs have been secret, for books or magazines or sale. I cannot share the creation process and everything's on a deadline. While I still love knitting (and feel deprived when I can't squeeze it in), I've been dreaming lately of some knitting that is just for me.


My professor observed the 24/7, fever pitch of activity around here and he came up with a plan. He just happened to get invited to the University of Florida in Gainesville to give a lecture. He checked in with his relatives and discovered his dad and brother would be in Sarasota at that time....and wow, instant trip out of town for the professor and Joanne. He hopes that I will take some time off and maybe even knit for fun! (we'll see...)

This morning, I planned my knitting projects for the trip. First is a project on a deadline, but I hope to finish that soon. Second is finishing the second of a pair of socks (for me!) that I've been carrying about, in between work projects, for ages. The back-up, back-up knitting? A pair of mittens. I'm combining a rose/burgundy alpaca yarn, a skein of Patons Stretch sock yarn (wool, cotton, and a bit of elastic in a variegated color, and a pink cashmere silk laceweight as a carry along (extra soft warmth). Then, it occurred to me I might run out of the alpaca yarn, but never fear!! I dived into the stash for one half-finished skein of dk weight olive colored wool.

The professor happened to walk by as I did this searching. He was stunned. I thought it was because of how much stash I have (it does fair take the breath away...) but that in a full closet of yarn, I can remember that I possessed a half skein of olive colored dk weight wool that would match this project.

Once I got my head out of the enormous tupperware bins in the closet, I was able to respond. "What can I say?" I replied. "I've got a good memory for color."

I was just relieved that he didn't comment on the sheer depth of the search itself, conducted before breakfast... (Both dogs had already fled my office and abandoned the couch.)

See you soon! Keep me company here on my time off and leave a comment! Dicuss your stash diving experiences? Design dreams?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

I am sooo glad to know that I'm not the only person who plans travel knitting projects and back up projects and back up back up projects! Usually it takes me 15 minutes to pack my cloths and makeup and several hours to plan and pack my knitting!

And I'm happy to know that I have company in the wee hours of the night, lying awake and designing in my head.

Enjoy your mini vacation!

February 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Willow said!

Now, where's that black cashmere... Although, Stitches is next weekend, so I really don't have to worry.

February 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

My husband and I have a history of spur-of-the-moment road trips. Once we left home at midnight on a Friday so we could get to a particular spot just in time for sunrise.

February 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Where fibers meet mud said...

Glad to know that there are others who know where things are and what color they are. I have a "where is" gene and as long as I am observant I can find about anything as long as it does not get moved!

Travel knitting projects are the best. I finish sleeves a lot when I travel because it is like a captive audience kind of thing.

I read the Farmer's Almanac today - they mention snow a lot in March - enjoy Florida!

February 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Have a nice respite in FLA with your professor!

Always satisfying to come up with what you go stash diving for ;-)

...it's the one that got away that leads to obsession...

February 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home