Friday, February 13, 2009

about that book?

Willow asked:
Joanne, Is there information on the content of your book anywhere? On your blog? I'm interested in finding out what it's about. I looked up the link on Amazon...

Now, about that book... The short answer is: It's about fiber festivals in the United States. What are fiber festivals? (Each of the previous words links to a U.S. Fiber Festival. Have fun checking out their sites!) There are 26 designs and projects in the book as well.

There's also quite a bit of useful information over to the right if you click on the Amazon link. Just scroll down and you'll see a few paragraphs that describe the contents of my book.

Or, you can check out this promotional brochure, put together by my publisher to help sell the book to book stores. It's available Here.

So, you may be wondering why I'm not posting loads of information on my blog. It's simple, really. I have this deal with my publisher...when I signed my contract, I agreed to let them publish the book--and not me! While I can mention what the book's about before it's out, it's not good form to do much more. Why? Well, publishing to the blog is still publishing...and I promised my publisher the chance to publish the book first! Fiber Gathering will be available for everyone to read in mid-March...and I can barely wait.... but I have to!

And the last bit. I am extremely lucky to have a great deal of effort going into publicity for my new book. I do a little, and whew, it's hard work! My publisher is doing a lot more. This is wonderful, and I'm certainly not going to second guess their approach.

Curious about how this book publishing thing works? You're welcome to ask me questions in the comments. I'll do my best to explain things. I'm no expert, but since I'm going through it, I might have a couple of insights.

PS: Did you hear about the horrible plane crash near Buffalo, in Clarence Center? Well, the professor and I lived in Clarence, that sweet suburban/rural town, when we lived in upstate New York in 2002-2003. Our hearts go out to Clarence and to Buffalonians today. We used to live just 5 miles from where the accident happened...may they rest in peace.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

Thanks for your quick response!

Good enough answer without any 'spoilers' the publishers wouldn't like.

I'm sure that Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival is mentioned! I like in Oregon a long time and never got there b/c I was working at the Oregon Historical Society's Fall Festival which was ALWAYS the same weekend!

I'll be asking the publishing questions...

February 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Ali P said...

I just found your blog! Its wonderful!!
I attended my first fiber fest this past autumn at Rhinebeck. I will be returning for sure!!

February 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Goodness, how did I get so far behind on your blog?

Congratulations on the reviews, I'm glad you didn't get womped too hard in that storm, your cake looks amazing and I wish I could have joined you, and I look forward to reading your book.

Have a great weekend!

February 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home