Friday, December 05, 2008

hibernation

Every year, about this time, I begin what the professor calls my "hibernation." This comprises of a great deal of sleeping, knitting, nesting, and coping with the urge to eat large quantities of homemade, warming foods. (think roasts, stews, baked goods, and uhh, more homemade baked goods.)

Anyway, as the hibernation came on this year, I thought-gee, I feel out of whack. Even though that was entirely legitimate (busy work schedule, sick nephew, overall doom and gloom in the world) I did something relatively clever. I got myself to the doctor to get my thyroid levels checked. "Ah hah!" Guess what? The hibernation is probably caused by my increasingly underactive thyroid. No big deal. Just take a little more medicine in the morning and --hopefully, I'll be better and more active in no time. In the meanwhile, I've been feeling just like Sally looks in this photo. Plum tuckered out!

There is big news this week to report.
#1) It appears that my social history idea, preferably to do with knitting, is a popular hit! I already have an idea for post number 2, and I'll try to keep that up, off and on, over the next few weeks.

#2) Yesterday, my kind editors for book #2 said, "It's time! Start sending your knitted samples to us for tech editing and photography!" I gulped. I said ok. Before I knew it, I'd packaged up roughly 11 designs (but in multiple sizes, variations, etc...so a lot more knitting than that) and Fed Ex'ed them off to the right folk. Now, counting some earlier designs that I'd sent off, I've got roughly 15 of my designs away from home, all worked up since this spring. I got home. I felt completely wiped out. Emotionally exhausted. That's when I realized something.

For Fiber Gathering, my husband, the professor, was the photographer. I didn't have to mail any of my designs (or any of the other designers' projects--they all came to me) away for photography, and my tech editor consulted the photos, for the most part, and only referred to the actual garments when absolutely necessary. Sure, I've sent away finished designs to magazines, yarn companies, and books before. Sure. One or two at a time. This was like sending away 6-9 months of my life! I hope they get to the editors safely.

#3) My nephew is making good progress. He's still in intensive care, with no date to come home in sight, but things are looking much more hopeful. There might even be a bris, which is heartening news. (This is always delayed when a baby boy is too sick to have one.)

#4) You'll note in these funny photos I caught in my office that Harry-the furry dog- is edging ever closer to Sally on the couch. Apparently true togetherness only takes place in the dog world after roughly 3 years of living together....or, in human years, when dogs are in their late 20's to early 30's?! (Harry and Sally were both 6 months to a year old when we adopted them from animal shelters in 2004 and 2005.) Or, as my biology professor says...maybe they're just huddling up because they're cold. Yeah, probably, but I like my theory better!
Are you hibernating? Feel bereft when you send off your knitting? How about your dogs? Do they cuddle up just for warmth or affection, too?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Yep, hibernating and nesting... or at least eating as if I think I'm going to sleep all winter. I made a double-batch of Jam Thumbprint Cookies the other night... because there was no way 4 dozen was going to be enough.

Sadly we have no puppies at our house. There are times when our schedules are so out of whack that the house is empty for 20 hours at a time, and it just wouldn't be right. Maybe when I retire I can have a pack of corgis!

Looking forward to more knitting history! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

December 5, 2008 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Joanne,
this might be easier via e-mail: anree01@gmail.com.

Hope to hear from you soon!

December 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear your nephew's improving! Yay!

December 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the low-thyroid thing, but I think the low sun angle and short hours of daylight are a hibernation factor, too. Hunker down!

December 6, 2008 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Donna D said...

Definitely hibernating!

December 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

OH, I wish I could hibernate!

Baby, it's cold outside!

glad to hear you are working on social history post#2

...and very glad to hear about the nephew!

December 7, 2008 at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home