Friday, November 21, 2008

wooly pleasures

Writing for a living can be a little anti-climatic. For instance, by the time an article comes out, I'm off and working on something entirely different. It's (very) delayed gratification! However, this week I've two publications to share:

The Inside Loop's new issue has loads of good patterns, and...my article: I Knit My Winter Coat .

The Winter '08 issue of Interweave Knits also happens to have an article in it that I wrote (back in August) about the history of tweed.

Hope you like these articles!

Good things going down in the work department-- I'm also now knitting another sample for book #2 in this spicy shade of saffron...really yummy stuff. The yarn is nice to work with, a smooth "vanilla" wool, but the color attracts me in a way I hadn't expected. It's remarkably alluring stuff! It's hard for me to put down the knitting and write things since I started this new project a couple of days ago.

The other parts of life are not quite so cheery at the moment. My baby nephew had a rather sudden second surgery on his stomach yesterday and it was a tough day. He has had some difficult setbacks. The odds haven't been in his favor, and it looks like he'll have a lot more healing time (in neo-natal intensive care at the hospital) ahead of him. Thanks to all of the folk who commented/emailed me yesterday and offered me distractions while I waited to hear how things went. It was a long wait until he got out of surgery, and not great news last night when it was over. I've been so grateful for all the comments, emails, and phone calls from unexpected sources! Thank you. (Yes, getting a phone call from the UK on a weekday afternoon stunned me for a bit. Then I settled right in for a good chat with a woman friend...just an ocean away!)

Do you find that knitting with certain colors really excites you? How do you celebrate delayed gratification experiences?

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the coat article - definitely a labor of love. I have 1 handspun sweater that's practically-but-not-quite that warm ;)

November 21, 2008 at 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for the little one... I'm grateful he's here.

November 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

So sorry to hear about your nephews setback. I'll light a candle for him tonight.

Colors which inspire me? Deep rich purples and greens and blues. It feels like knitting with stained glass.

November 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...Did the knitter in that group who belittled your coat project go properly wow when she saw the finished thing on you? You did a gorgeous job with it.

November 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Alison, the short answer is--the lady never saw the coat. I stopped going to the knitting group. Who needs to be belittled over one's knitting?!

November 22, 2008 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Harris Tweed! A favorite! :)
Hoping for better days ahead for your little nephew and the whole family.

November 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

oh, yes - the colors that inspire me are usually the natural greys of sheep and the tweedy, fallish tones that are fast fading from view as November winds down.

November 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Oh, gosh, Joanne. Wishing your little nephew all the very best. I'm thinking of you all....

November 24, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home