Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Inside Out

Well, it's killing me, this "don't show any knitting" on a knitting blog thing. Yet, while I am busy at work on book #2, I'm not supposed to show you (that is, 'publish') anything to my blog. I'm saving those publishing rights for my--ahem--publisher. Note: that's the link to book #1, and I'm now working on book #2, but you know what I mean...

However, it struck me that if you see something inside out, before it's finished or blocked or anything like that, is it a fair representation of anything at all? No. So, I present you--the wrong side of one of the projects. (I know, you're thinking--the woman's lost it, like I want to see the backside of anything in graphic detail?) Well, it's just that it, err, looked very good to me.

My grandmother and mother taught me that the back of my needlework should always look tidy and neat. It should look as good as the right side. I shouldn't be embarrassed to turn it inside out if necessary. (because sometimes, socks and sweaters are indeed turned wrong side out.) In this case? I almost wish this were the front. I mean, take a slip stitch pattern and work neatly and whew, check this baby out! (now you know the truth. I also like going to baseball games just to watch those players' bums in the tight fitting uniforms and do the YMCA song...) Backsides. Wrong side out. I'm telling you. HOT.

Now, since there isn't much content here, I add this other bit of food news. Here is a photo of my wintertime lettuce garden bed. Since my garden is sheltered and these are hearty greens, I'll get a salad or two out of here for a while to come yet. I also have some nice green onions, a radish or two, some collards and kale and some Jerusalem Artichokes to dig.

Yet, in the dead of winter, most of us rely on grocery store produce...out of season and from out of state/out of the country. Check out this very interesting section of Gourmet Magazine, Politics of the Plate, to understand why we definitely should NOT be buying those bags of pre-washed greens. (E-coli, anyone? Habitat destruction? Bacteria gone amok?) Whew! Looks like another sound reason (#152?!) for buying local produce, in season. No need to turn our insides out... is there?

So, what do you think? Is the wrong side of knitting really the back side? (wink wink) Do you feel the need to make your wrong side neat? How about buying greens in winter? I like hearing what you have to say!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I like the inside of that project, too! Maybe an idea for reversible something-or-others? My aunt was a master embroiderer and the front and back sides were identical. It was amazing.

November 19, 2008 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a powerful article. I am going to be paying a lot more attention to the brand names on greens from here on out, and thank you. Habitat devastation on that scale is just so senseless--and living where I do, and being immuno-impaired, it hits pretty close to home.

November 19, 2008 at 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article link. Very helpful.

November 19, 2008 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Love the colors of your current "inside out" project....looks great.

I do not purchase bagged greens, period. That was a very informative article that every consumer should read. Unfortunately, the majority will never see it and that's they way "they" want it.

November 20, 2008 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger Donna D said...

The right side is called the "good knitting half" in Lithuanian. The wrong side is called something like "the reverse half".... :-)

Agreed about local foods, etc. Have you read anything by Gary Paul Nabhan? If not, you should!

garynabhan

November 20, 2008 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Neat work! I love the texture of your inside out work. I will go back & read the article. The winter plot looks great. I wish I had got around to planting the winter veg in the poly tunnel.I did spend about 5 minutes reading the labels on bags of apples(!) in the supermarket to find a) what type they were and b) where they had come from. 'Fraid the US grown ones stayed in the supermarket. I have noticed that, in general, the supermarkets in the UK are really beginning to play up the 'grown in Britain' thing.

November 20, 2008 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger knitalot3 said...

I took a class from Myrna Stahman a while ago. She called it the "public side" and the "private side".

I like the private side of your project.

The whole ecoli thing was terrifying. I wish I had a green house. I still have some thyme, apples, and tomatoes.
LisaK

November 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home