Sunday, November 16, 2008

1,000 miles

Yesterday, as we drove to Frankfort, Kentucky, I realized that despite my best efforts to avoid cars and anything to do with driving places? I was yet again piling on the miles. That would be over 1000 miles in the car this week!

A few months ago, I was asked to contribute writing to a project that the Kentucky Arts Council organized. It became the Kentucky Quilt Trails program, complete with a book you can purchase. In this book, you can see photos of barns in Kentucky, covered in community-painted traditional quilt patterns. You can read snippets of writing about quilts, Kentucky, and barns. While the public art that this project has inspired around the state is fabulous.. for me, I decided this week that best of all, you don't have to ride in a car to see any of it! Just buy the book!

I was invited to sign copies of the book at the Kentucky Book Fair in Frankfort. Sure, I said! What's 150 miles each way for a good cause? Luckily, the professor agreed to come along and drive. It was rainy, cold, and 5 hours in the car. The good parts? This was my first time signing any books at all and it was fun! Also? We found a great Lebanese restaurant so I was full and happy on the drive home. I even knitted a little, between long moments of staring into space.

Nancy was 100% right about this week's activities. I baked six loaves of bread. (4 challah, pictured, 2 whole wheat, hard crusted beauties of at least a lb a piece.) I've also felt a little "toasted" myself...as Annmarie mentioned in the comments..long drives can do that.

My new nephew is doing better now, after a week of pretty rough complications from surgery. Still in neo-natal ICU, still struggling with the basics and being fed through an IV mostly, but he's off the ventilator and his mom got to hold him yesterday. That's huge. (Obviously all those thoughts and prayers are helping! Thank you!)

I'm slowly getting to know my great wheel, which requires some practice. I carded up some Shetland wool and every day or so, I spend a few quality moments spinning. It's not great yarn yet, but I'm ok with it... that takes practice with any new wheel. In the meanwhile? It's meditative time with a lot of walking back and forth. (nowhere near 1000 miles, although gosh knows I need the exercise.)

Best of all, this new wheel is safe and well-situated in my guest room...a well-lit and cheerful place.

Can you imagine any better amenity for spinning guests? Do you think I'll have a waiting list for houseguests? :)

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

The bread looks awfully good, especially considering this afternoon's weather (see blog). What fun for you to sign the books! Soon, your own! Happy for family and the nephew.

November 16, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

So glad to hear there is finally improvement for your nephew. The book about quilts on barns looks interesting. Cool thing to be a part of. Now......rest!

November 16, 2008 at 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on your waiting list :-)

Not sure what Neil would think though if I walked up and down spinning all night instead of sleeping!

That Challah looks good!

November 17, 2008 at 4:05 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Hummm....I'd like to sit down with nice slice of that fresh baked bread, read the book..and then spend a little quality time behind that wheel....

So very glad to hear that the baby got to be with his mom, that is huge indeed!

November 17, 2008 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Worth the drive!

November 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

And now it's time for me to try challah bread, 'cause yours looks so yummy. What wonderful news about your nephew!

November 17, 2008 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger knitalot3 said...

Thanks for the pretty pics, made me smile.

I'm glad your nephew is improving.

I'm with Cyndy.

LisaK

November 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad he's doing somewhat better! And I'd love to be on that waiting list, helping you make good use of that homemade bread.

November 19, 2008 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Love the Great Wheel. You will really enjoy that in Canada. I can't imagine spinning while standing (and walking).
Cindy

November 23, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home