Friday, October 10, 2008

Greenwich--a really special village

Just a week ago, I woke up on Friday and headed off to donate the first batch of apples. I met the Presbyterian church secretary/food pantry volunteer/fire house auxillary support lady in Argyle, which is just up the road from my husband's family land. So, in brief, this wonderful woman Tanya was grabbing a few bags of apples, manning the church, and brewing coffee for the firefighters, fighting a big fire up the road. She explained the pastor was also a firefighter, so he wasn't around.

In the friendly way that upstate NY folk have, she helped me figure out where the closest grocery store was and gave me directions so I could buy cinnamon and pie plates. (essential yet missing ingredients for apple pies!).. And yes, once we broke into the pies, I did eat them for breakfast with cheddar!

The closest grocery store was towards Greenwich, so I hopped in the car and took a drive. At the store, I talked to two young women who checked me out of the store. They were on their way through college and welcomed advice! I love this open and curious aspect to life in this area of the country...the brusque, bright and curious warmth always is a treat.

Downtown Greenwich (pronounced Green Witch) just happens to have a yarn shop. This shop is just a perfect place--lots of great basic colors and natural fibers, with a small town feel... and in my rush to go in, I forgot to shoot a photo. I found this shot of the antique store across the street on the web so you can get a sense of the Main Street. It's a historic town.


Needleworks is owned by Tracy and her retired professor husband Jeff. (Political Science at a SUNY school...) Jeff was there when I visited, and he told me an amazing story.

Tracy was diagnosed with ovarian cancer a little while back. It was serious and they weren't sure how they'd manage the store during her illness. The knitting groups at the store got together, created a list of people willing to help....and in the 6 months that she was going through treatment, the store was only closed for a few hours on one day. Otherwise? The knitting group ran the store, day in and day out, until she could get back to work.

Wow. I'd been planning to buy yarn, but gosh, that story made me want to take out stock in it. What a great knitting community. So, here's what I got at this shop.
First photo: Grey/Brown Bo Peep's Not Just For Socks Yarn, Red Happy Feet sock yarn, Charcoal Bo Peep's Not Just For Socks yarn.


Red and Khaki Dale Kolibri Cotton yarn, always good for keeping around for stash--future kids' presents, etc..

I love Lopi yarns and try to keep a rotating stash of these on hand. I bought 6 skeins of Lite Lopi so I can maybe make another Norah Gaughan lite lopi pullover. (Interweave Knits Fall 2003) I've just about worn the first one out. I used to sleep on it while travelling!

Last purchase was a mixed bunch of skeins of Loft Classic Zitron, a wool yarn that I'd read about and wanted to try out. I've got enough here for some hats and mittens, or something else just bigger than a swatch or two!

You might notice the dark colors theme. I like to wear a lot of black, browns and other solid dark shades generally. Some yarn shops just don't carry these shades, but it's all I want to wear and buy for my own stash! My designs are all shades of bright, but of course, I don't wear them all. How wonderful to step into a welcoming shop with such an obvious niche in its community--and to be able to buy all of this for $122. (yes, really.)

I haven't gotten to answer every comment individually this time, so I'll do it right here, as part of my "community!"
1) Mary, just google "Pick your own orchard" and pop in your area, Northern Virginia, and you'll find some luscious apples to try!
2) pie, cheddar AND another way to donate to the hungry? You go, Geek Knitter!
3) Alison, you have an amazing set of Second Harvest volunteers where you live. Wish it were that easy to donate everywhere!
4) Cyndy, I too wonder what varieties are in that orchard. So far, the guesses are for Northern Spy, Golden Delicious, and Cortland apples, as well as Seckel, Bartlett and Anjou pears. We're still guessing though, and I wish I could ask that long ago farmer what he planted and thank him for his bounty.
5) Nancy, I agree, we need to focus on what's important and basic needs in this economy...
6) Annmarie, thanks for enjoying our trunkload! We felt so proud. :)
7) Deb, I love Honeycrisps too...and those drops are delicious as long as you use them right away. The bruising may make them rot quickly, and as you know, you'll need to be sure you cut out any bad bits. (alas, that's what happens when the apples drop from the tree...)

Next stop, on to Green Mountain Spinnery! Ever wonder how big my actual stash is? Me too. There's a reason I don't account for it all on Ravelry...do you have a shop like Needleworks near by? How about your stash?!

2 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

I enjoyed reading your description of your time in Greenwich...sounds like a great place!

Beautiful YARN!

October 11, 2008 at 5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post!

I have Purlescence nearby; my stash speaks well of them.

October 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home