Thursday, September 11, 2008

jackhammering onward

Your suggestions and comments were fabulous! The sad truth is that I've called the city and the jackhammer hell (ahem, construction) will continue through October if not longer. I run fans all day long to make white noise to cover up the jackhammer noises. I do own an I-pod, but find that more noise on top of the noise of not one, but two jackhammer construction projects within a few blocks puts me over the edge. Although I love music, I listen to it intently when I have it on, so I do not work with music on because I can't concentrate on the work part.

With the fans on, the jackhammering is a low deep rumble that vibrates my house a bit. I'd escape to a coffee shop or the library but these venues are all (alas) within a few blocks of the noise. They also lack a full dining room table for 3 sets of proofs AND a laptop! I did rush out to do errands the other day as a "reward" for getting through proofreading. Never has buying dog food seemed so luxurious, so quiet and meaningful. I found this ribbon, too, and I bought it. I liked the colors and it said "hipster" and "bistro" on the labels (two positive words). You'll be amazed when you see this stuff turn up again someday in a knitting project. :)

There's no consensus on which button I should choose for that other project. I dug deep into the button stash and found a few more options for the professor to consider. As soon as I can flag him down, I'm sure he'll offer his two cents. In the meanwhile, I am slogging onward. Donna mentioned on her blog that writers go through these periods of ups and down. Sometimes I'm really "in the groove." The writing goes quickly, it's a joy, the other business details are all tolerable, and I feel I was destined for this life. Then, there are the slog times. Maybe it's the proofreading (almost done, thank goodness) or the jackhammer? but this is a period of slog.

The professor has a Swiss friend and colleague named Chris. Once, when Chris was at our house for dinner..oh...at least 8 years ago...he mentioned that in Switzerland, fruit pies are often consumed at breakfast. This week, I lay in bed at 6:15 AM, listening to the jackhammers start early, and the only thing motivating me to get up? Is this peach pie. I've almost finished it. I made it on Sunday night. I know it's bad to equate food with a reward, I know. I can't help it. At least it's a homemade reward! With tea and a glass of milk, it's the breakfast of proofreading champions.

I've been hoping for a way to actually run away for a few days from the jackhammer but my schedule is pretty booked with actual local commitments. Instead, I'm running away for the afternoon and evening. Tonight, the professor and I are going to the Fair! The Tennessee State Fair has a fleece auction and spinning contest every year. It's at 7:30 tonight in Nashville if you're in the vicinity. We love us some sheep and wool and if you link that to a meal in a big city restaurant, it's well worth the gas. Plus, I don't have to take notes this year, shoot photos, or write a book on it. I can just buy a little fleece or two. (cause sometimes retail therapy is necessary and comes with a nice sheepy smell!)

Considering the date (9/11) and the world we live in, there are lots worse things that could happen (heaven forbid) to us than a little noise and proofreading. Take a moment to wish for a little peace today...and a lot less violence for all of us. All options on the table, it makes jackhammering look--well-- good.

So, do you eat pie for breakfast? Does double-sided ribbon make you weak in the knees? How about fleece therapy? Do tell!

11 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Pie for breakfast is a farming habit that I picked up from my mother. Nothing quite like apple pie, a slice of cheddar and a cup of coffee first thing in the morning!

September 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to my niece's wedding and, my sister's house being very small and there being quite a few of us, I stayed at a hotel. My folks and I discovered a little restaurant where I had the most intensely good and well-made berry pie I have ever eaten: comfort food to the nth degree. We went back to that restaurant later so that I could order another one (they came single-person size) for breakfast before my flight in the morning. I have fantasized flying back to Seattle just to find that restaurant again. A well-made fruit pie for breakfast is just the best.

September 11, 2008 at 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could eat fruit pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-)especially with a tiny dollop of double cream!

Here's hoping you come out on the other side of the jack-hammering with some sanity left to you. xx

September 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought *everybody* ate pie for breakfast, at least everybody lucky enough to have a good homemade pie. Peach paaaaaah (I believe that's the Southern pronunciation) would make getting up worth the trouble!

September 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Geek Knitter on the applie pie with cheddar, although my FAVORITES are rhubarb, strawberry-rhubarb, and pumpkin. Lots of vitamins in those. Your peach pie, however, looks like it would be worth a cross-country drive for a piece.

Breakfast? OF COURSE.

By the way, the Sitka (AK) airport is famous for its pies. You can get a piece, or a whole one to go.

I'm not an "I love every pie" person. But there are specific pies that are bliss. Lemon chiffon, for example. . . .

September 11, 2008 at 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

applie pie? it's a new one

September 11, 2008 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Taueret said...

Having all these kids has given me the ability to tune out almost any ambient clatter that doesn't involve direct demands for my attention! I love fruit pie for any meal, any meal at all!

September 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger Donna D said...

do you have noise-canceling headphones?

September 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Your peach pie looks like it could win a blue ribbon at the Fair!

Have a nice time, come back and tell all about it!

September 12, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

That dogs smiling!

September 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

Peach Pie for breakfast - of course! I'm surprised you even had to ask! I haven't commented for awhile, so sorry to hear about your jackhammer woes.

9/11 is especially meaningful for my family - it's the day my beautiful daughter was born - 18 years ago!

Hope the fair and city dinner is all you hope for.

September 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home