Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In which she does actually write about knitting...

There are definitely full days in which I work on knitting, designing, and writing about knitting. Yet, I cannot blog about specifics because, well, if I do, I can't sell the design or article elsewhere. By publishing it here, I've used "first rights" to the piece myself. So, on this blog it looks like I never do any knitting! It's all dog, garden, food, spinning, book #1 with no details...well...it all sounds like blather! It's no wonder that some people think I'm making it up...

Today, I am proud to say that one of my articles has come out online in a great new British online magazine, filled with patterns and interesting articles. Wander over right away to The Inside Loop and check it out!

The photo is one of an endless number of swatches I work on every year. I create these things, I pitch ideas--and sometimes, they even sell. Alas, this one didn't, so I am using it as a bit of eye candy.

I'm pretty busy lately--the professor is going back to school, with loads of early morning meetings. The dogs and I walk him to the university every morning just to be sure he makes it there. At some horrible early hour, an absentminded professor might could get lost! (think 7:30 AM meetings, ugh!)

Ms. Sally the dog is having a little training every day to work on her barking urges. I've realized that if she doesn't spend her time racing from window to window and barking, she might avoid some future injuries. It's been just over a week since her accident; we're making good progress on the better behavior front...every time she starts the neurotic bark chase routine, I have her "come" to me. It's beginning to work. She's high-strung but she's smart.

Finally, there's this book thing. I'm expecting the proofs for Fiber Gathering any day now. I've been told that's when I drop everything to read it carefully to be sure there are no mistakes anywhere-that it's perfect!! I can't wait to see it all--and then go cross eyed with all that proofing. Meanwhile, I'm busy on book #2, which has me designing and writing up a storm. Lord willin' and the crick don't rise, that one will be out in fall 2009.

There's a lot going on behind this curtain over here...please be patient (gosh it's so hard for me!) and you'll see it all, promise. In the meanwhile...don't forget to check out The Inside Loop. Lots of sock patterns there, a couple of cardigans, even some crochet-- just waiting for you to click on over!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every comma, every period, and in a knitting book, every pattern asterisk. It's also helpful to get totally away from it for at least a week before the proofs arrive so that you can look at it with fresh eyes, content-wise.

I got my proofs right before I went into the hospital for four days' worth of tests, so I had plenty of sit-still downtime to work on it. I think I'd rather have the distractions of needing to walk and pet the dogs from time to time to give it a break--it is a pretty intense time. But SO worth it!

August 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

i love your article joanne :-)

August 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colour of that swatch - what's the yarn?

7:30 meetings? Definitely ugh!! I don't do pre-8am at all (unless the night before counts).

Glad to hear Sally's settling down a bit :-)

August 20, 2008 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Swatch is knit out of SWTC's Terra. I'm not sure if the color is really right there...but I did like the yarn quite a bit.

Alison, I am grateful for every bit of advice you offer. Believe me!

Vanessa, thank you, thank you! My mother is so excited to find out that people like her sweaters. :)

August 20, 2008 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

What a delightful article Joanne! I can just picture your mom kicking her heels on the counter, but I can't imagine such a beautiful sweater being completed by a beginner of any age, let alone someone so young. And she obviously had (has) very good taste!

Good luck with the proofing. Take lots of breaks to rest your eyes and relax your shoulders.

August 21, 2008 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger knitalot3 said...

I love your article! My first sweater was an aran for my boyfriend out of a Bernat leaflet. Good thing nobody told me it was hard.

My mom and grandma were both avid handcrafters and taught me a lot. I learned to knit from my left handed brother. ;-) LisaK

August 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home