Sunday, June 08, 2008

getting ready

We realized (it snuck up on us) that we're about to leave town. We're going east for a family bar mitzvah and have to get ourselves together. Sally got caught up in the excitement. There was a lot of rushing around. Then we had to organize some things. I hate leaving dirty laundry--so the bed had to be made and random house things had to be tidied. The professor points out that we are making sure that the house will be less cluttered all by itself, but this way, when I lock the door, I don't feel bad about some of the mess I've left behind. (there's plenty of mess still to feel harassed about, believe me!)

Sally organized her toys. Her bed is mostly cleared off, with the squeaky toy dog babies moved around and around my office. It must be almost time to go to the kennel, huh? Yup, Harry and Sally have to go to dog jail, because 900 miles' drive each way in the summer time is not a happy recipe for dogs. I'd wrapped my head all around this "getting ready" stuff. I've been doing a "review" of all the edited chapters of my book, and working lots of weekend hours to finish it in time. It's been a frenzy around here.

I started organizing my traveling "kit" so I can keep designing and knitting on the road...but I'd lost a needle somewhere...and despite an extreme number of needles around here, this kind of thing makes me crazy. I like my matchy matchy sets of needles for trips. (I know, it's weird.) I found it here. Remember this project? I didn't sell the design, so instead I knit for myself. Alas, knitting for myself has to be pushed aside when I've got work knitting to do. I am in love with these vibrant colors. Gosh knows when I'll finish this, or if I'll rip it all out to try something new, but for now...check this out. Ahhh. A furiously flaming scarlet and alarming yellow...in handspun Cotswold and silk singles. Oh...and with the air conditioning on, it's 85 in my office. (Celsius folk, that would be about 29.5C.) Roughly 95 (35C) outside. Hot, maybe too hot for playing with wool, especially when rushing around.

Then, something stopped me dead in my tracks. I screamed. I yelled for the professor to come right over here RIGHT NOW!! I spend a lot of time preparing myself. I work on the details. I try to get things organized and to be ready. I admit it. No matter how much I try? I'm not quite believing it yet...you know what I mean, right?
Yup. (gulp.) This....
"by Joanne Seiff (Author)"
WHOA.
DUDE. I had to just, ummm. Sit down. Right. Away. Whoa. DANG.

(I'll be back in touch in a few hundred miles, OK? When maybe I've calmed down a little.)

8 Comments:

Blogger ilana said...

yeah! joanne the author! now the world knows it! congrats!!!!
i am the same way with matchy stuff- and i HATE losing things.
also, that was nice of sally to organize her toys, perhaps she can teach pickle a thing or two.

June 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Even though you knew this was coming, it still must be just awesome to see your book up on amazon. :)
I see you're headed up my way - prepare yourself because it's asphalt-melting hot up here, too. My classroom thermometer today was at 100 degrees F. That's 'hot' in Celsius. ;)

June 9, 2008 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Congratulations Joanne.....you must be very pleased! I hope you have a wonderful trip. I look forward to reading your book when it's available :)

June 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea!! It's great to have your hands on it. It's real, and nobody can change a thing. Congratulations. Enjoy the moment!

June 9, 2008 at 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeeee!! So exciting, I think I yelped a bit too!

Have a great, safe trip - see you back sooon :-)

June 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

YaY!! Soo happy for you! Congratulations on job well done!

June 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Isn't it a *wonderful* feeling to see the real thing!

Are you going to come to Stitches East so I can get my copy signed?

June 10, 2008 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

SQUEAL!!!!
I just caught up with your blog and let out a squeal! I'm so excited for you! I've signed up with Amazon to be notifed when your book is in. My very own brush with fame :)
I can say....I knew her when...

June 13, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home