Wednesday, June 11, 2008

650 miles down

...and only 300 miles to go. Ok, I admit it, that author thing on Amazon hasn't gotten old yet. I am still pretty stoked about it! Maybe it will become old hat, but it hasn't yet! To answer some of the blog questions about where I'll be to sign the book....umm, I don't know. Book tours aren't what they used to be. I mean, I will have to pay for mine as publishers don't really cover that anymore for first time authors, and I don't quite know yet how that will turn out in 2009...I imagine gas, airfares, etc. will all just keep going up, too. I'll keep you updated. I promise. I want to see you, in person too, believe me!

Now, yesterday was a long long day of driving, but a highlight was stopping at this soda fountain in Kenova, West Virginia. There is nothing like a chocolate ice cream soda or a handmade shake at 4 in the afternoon to keep your spirits up, especially when driving through rural states like Kentucky and West Virginia. There are towns, sure, but there's a lot of tree, tree, tree, mountain, crick, river, pasture, cow, horse, tree and more trees. At least it's beautiful and green this time of year. There are definitely moments when I'm driving and I think--if-I-don't-see-a-bathroom-soon....I'll I'll? (pull over to the side of the road? Pop?) Luckily, I made it. :)

Since my photo of the Griffith-Feil soda fountain and pharmacy is not so great, I found this blog with superb images to keep you entertained. Now, on to the east coast big cities, where driving is much more traffic-y and there are far fewer rural soda fountains....
Psst: I drove 325 or so miles. I also knit 2/3rds of a hat out of Shokay yak yarn. That was yarn--from yak down. Very fancy stuff! All round good day!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about an Amtrak tour? It takes you right to the middle of towns, both big and small and is much more scenic and relaxing than cars or planes. Must recommend sleeper car, though, if you take any of the overnight trains, which would reduce cost-effectiveness. You could probably get friends, knitters or bookstore owners to put you up in lots of places, too. Whadaya think?

June 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 11, 2008 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Let's try again:
Well, an Amtrak tour might work---if I could actually catch a train in my town (no passenger trains) and if it made it on time where it was going. I love trains, but the last one I took instead of driving the same way was perhaps 7 years ago and 7.5 hours (an hour plus late) and the equivalent car trip was 4 hours. I was also harrassed by a bored male passenger. It was a one time experiment for me at the time! I do take trains both in the USA and abroad, but haven't found them really useful in my area of the country recently! Wish they were, though.. (and I could skip the annoying smoking breaks and harrassment!)

5:20 PM

June 11, 2008 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

Hee, I know what you mean about country driving. It's pretty for the first hour, and then the tree, tree, tree, mountain, crick, river, etc. starts and I start to long for some signs of civilization again.

June 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home