Sunday, May 18, 2008

the weekend's adventures

I had a very busy weekend. First, I went to Enchanted Yarn and Fiber with my spinning friends on Saturday. This is a brand new shop in Russellville, Kentucky. I managed to leave after trying out a new spinning wheel, and purchasing two skeins of yarn, nearly a pound of different interesting dyed fiber, and two hair sticks...but not before I dropped one and broke it. (oops, I never grew out of klutzy!) The kind ladies there gave me a new hair stick, and while embarrassed, I managed to have a lovely time. I hope to go back soon.
Then we wandered over to Roy's Pit Bar-B-Q. I had some decent barbeque, and I mention it because this kind of food is a Southern institution. They offered pulled beef or pork, chicken, and even tacos. The meat is cooked over woodsmoke on a spit (that's what the "pit" part means, the fire is in a pit) and served with cornbread or a bun. I had cornbread and it looks like a white cornmeal pancake. It's often also called johnnycake. The "sides" included coleslaw, potato salad, and baked beans. I just about rolled out of there, but gosh it was good!

Today, I drove about a mile up to campus to go hear Hillary Clinton speak. First off, note the crowded conditions of the parking lot. (the yellow Aztek is mine.)

I was surprised when I actually got to the rally site and saw this long line to go through security. (I didn't know there were this many Democrats in South-Central Kentucky!)


I chose to watch from a distance rather than go through the long security lines. After all, I had to leave by 1 pm and things looked crowded. I saw lots of fun attendees, including these politically aware St. Bernards.


I admired the campaign button souvenir stands, but didn't buy any, even though my dad has a substantial collection of political campaign buttons. They used to be free, but these were $5!

Some folks watched from even farther away than I was...at the top of the stadium.

It was a perfect day to be outside...obviously a great time for a political rally. I even managed to shoot one photo, using all my camera's tricks, where I might could see Senator Clinton speaking.

I drove up the hill for a reason though--it's hard to lug
a travel spinning wheel a mile up the hill! Luckily, the presidential candidate finished up her speech just in time. I had to rush off so I could go hang out with my spinning group on the other side of campus. After all, I have my priorities... After all this adventure, I'm going to need a week to recover from my weekend...
So, have you gone to hear a candidate? Two? Maybe, like me, you went to spin with friends or had good BBQ? Do tell!

If you live in Kentucky, please vote in Tuesday's primary!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That kind of good Southern barbecue experience--oh my. And don't forget the brunswick stew. There was a place in Florida that had both, served indoors on picnic tables someone had sanded down to the consistency of velvet. I'll never forget the experience.

When we lived in NH, you could schedule your whole life around listening to candidates speak. I once got called twice by the same pollsters after one of them had made some speech somewhere, wanting to know my reaction to it. The second time, I pointed out they'd already called and asked how much they wanted my views skewing their results. They hung up on me.

May 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

that is funny, when they mentioned bowling green on the news the other day i smiled and thought of you! the bbq sounds wonderful.

May 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home