Wednesday, February 20, 2008

new new new!

There's a great new online publication on the scene, particularly suited to those in the British Fibre Arts world. However, they are kind enough to allow U.S. citizens like me submit to it, and even better--read it. Here's the link to the magazine:
The Inside Loop

and to my article:
Imagine Your Handspun

I hope my readers will hop on over there for some interesting patterns and a good read!

Before I sign off to do some work, I wanted to respond to a few comments. As other blogger folk know, I can't access your emails from the comments to respond privately. So, I wander around the web, scattering comments on others' blogs when I get a chance. Sometimes, just sometimes, there's no blog to wander to, or the post needs to be more public. Here are some of those:

Karen, I absolutely remember you from Rhinebeck, and I'm so glad to hear from you!! One of the best parts of travelling to so many festivals was the chance to meet wonderful kind people like you. Every festival was full of fun encounters, and for that, I am very grateful. I hope to see you again--someday soon, ok?

Renaissance Wednesday, I've commented on your blog, but I've got to post here, too. Spinning is easypeasey. It's fun. I learned when I was about 12, while volunteering at a living history site. (I worked there, on and off, as both volunteer and employee, through about age 23, I loved the place.) I was so enthusiastic that my parents found me lessons, and I spun by myself, complete with my Ashford Double Drive Traditional wheel sent in a kit from New Zealand. I was on my own all the way through college, with spinning wheel, without meeting anyone else my age who knew how to spin. I did eventually meet other spinners and join guilds and things, but it took a while. If you want to learn to spin, check out Interweave's many helpful brochures on the subject...and get started! My book will also have some fun beginning spindle ideas, but it won't be out til early 2009. Start now! Don't wait!

As Angela knows, I'm always happy to offer advice to my friends for exciting and vicarious spinning and knitting adventures. If you have questions, let me know and I'll do my best. I believe information and my poor advice are most useful when offered generously to others. :)

Thanks to all for the nice comments and excitement around the zafu cushions. I knew you'd understand why I was so proud.

So, what are you waiting for? Hop over to The Inside Loop right away!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

OH! I love your article on handspun!

Looks like I have more to read - thanks for the links!

February 20, 2008 at 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joanne;
I love your blog, I read it every day. I checked out your article on handspun and I am thinking that I might not be so scared to use some of that yarn I made this winter...never enough done to make a whole sweater, but I have lots of friends I can bless with mittens...and if I get started now, I might even have them for next Christmas!

February 20, 2008 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Very nicely done piece on handspun. My handspun does spoil me! Congratulations on the article!

February 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

congratulations on the article! looks like this new mag is off to a good start. :)

February 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

Thank you for the helpful links and such! *hugs* I looked at a couple of the PDFs you posted in your comment on my blog, and it looks really interesting. My only concern at this point is time - I barely have enough spare time to knit as it is, and spinning seems a little time-consuming.

Your article was great - I think I understand the excitement from spinning your own yarn a little more now. :-)

February 21, 2008 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

i think that that new 'zine is off to a great start!

February 22, 2008 at 12:33 AM  
Blogger Karen Johnson said...

Nice article. One of these days I might even take the plunge and try spinning. Your article made me tempted again.

February 22, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home