Tuesday, December 04, 2007

journey from New England

I arrived in Burlington, Vermont to the coldest weather folks had seen this year. My knitwear got very good use. We drove up to Sutton, Vermont, to see "the folks", my second parents, my best friend's parents. This is what the dooryard at their farm looked like on Saturday morning. We got a little snow overnight. (4-6 inches?)

The best friend (we've been friendly since about age 12 and close since we turned 14) lives in another rural area of Vermont, and we travelled there on Saturday, stopping for important trips to buy good Vermont cheese and other groceries, see a great juried art show, and then, we headed to "town." It was 2 degrees F when we went out to dinner near Dartmouth College in New Hampshire for my best friend's boyfriend's birthday on Saturday night.

The views from the Sutton farmhouse are beautiful, and it was only the beginning of the adventure.
I took several photos, and it will take a while to show them all. The reason for the short post? You may have heard that New England got some snow over the past few days. Maybe about eight inches to a foot of snow fell on Sunday night, and it kept snowing. On Monday, they cancelled school and the roads weren't plowed, but I still had to get to the airplane. We left my best friend's house at 10 AM ET on Monday morning. I got home to my house in Kentucky at 12:30 AM, CT. That's over 15 hours in transit, on three airplanes, and my travel plan was rerouted twice. I'm bushed.

Knitting accomplished? A woman's large mitten, all but the thumb, 5 sts to the inch, black, for my sister-in-law. Did that on the trip to New England, and it took 5 hours, more or less. I started the ribbing on the second mitten, but by mid-day yesterday? I'd even lost the will to knit.

Thanks for the well-wishes regarding health. I'm still not quite right yet. More to come on my great New England adventure...so, where you live, did you get any of the white stuff?!

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

SW PA, northeast of Pittsburgh here... 1/2 inch of freezing rain and sleet then 3 inches of snow so far. Not a pretty commute this morning!

December 4, 2007 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I could only drool at those lovely pictures. I guess I'm going to have further north. I love snow and that view is awesome. The only trouble is I can' move any further from Emma Belle than I am now.

December 4, 2007 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger annmarie said...

oh, man, that looks like my dream house...

December 4, 2007 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Annmarie, wait until you see more photos of it! It's one of the prettiest/liveable houses I've ever visited!

December 4, 2007 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Deborah Robson said...

Looks like snowshoe weather to me!

December 4, 2007 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger weebug said...

oh, and happy hannuka

December 5, 2007 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Warm, wet & windy in Yorkshire! I like your weather better. Look forward to seeing more pictures!

December 5, 2007 at 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home