Monday, November 26, 2007

resting, with toys

Thanksgiving was pretty great around here, a good party, as a matter of fact...complete with chocolate pecan pie and single malts. Sorry you couldn't be here for the fun! However, I've been just feeling out of sorts for quite a while. Today, my doctor decided maybe I had a lowgrade infection, and I've been prescribed the big antibiotic horsepills, so no whiskey for me for now! I'm hopeful this will make a difference! I've been operating as normal, but feeling grouchy and crummy for months, so I hope this is the answer. This is the short answer for why I didn't post for a few days. I didn't want to inflict my grumbling on anyone to whom I'm not related.

Over the long weekend, the professor and I took walks, did some work, watched movies and even had two photo shots with models for the book. Those came out well, and as a bonus, I got to visit with the models, who are secretly colleagues and friends in real life.

Harry the dog has been very busy with toys. Every night, I find one or more fuzzy toys or plastic bones on my bed. (some people get pillow mints, I hear, but I wouldn't know...blue fish? fuzzy squeaky ball, anyone?) With the new boxspring, things are lowered back to normal in the bedroom...so hopping up, with toys, is much more convenient for a 40 lb dog.

So, imagine my surprise today.... I worked at the dining room table, with all my papers spread out and the laptop revved up. Harry was obviously concerned about me. I wasn't upstairs at my office desk, didn't feel top speed...so Harry, fuzzy ball in his mouth, made the rounds. He walked around and around the dining room, with detours into the living room, kitchen, and hallway. I lost count of how often he did this.

On reflection, I think this is the secret dog incantation. "Feel better. Feel better. I've got the magic fuzzy ball (wand?)" Maybe he repeated it seven times? Anyway, it tired him out and I felt really loved. Now, I'm back to selecting photos for the book, without the help of even one fuzzy squeaky toy. Can it be done without the squeaky toys?!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh, chocolate and pecan pie sounds wonderful! sorry you aren't feeling up to snuff, i hope that you are on the mend and on the way to feeling better soon.

November 26, 2007 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Moss averages 4 squeky toys at any one time out of his 'toy basket'! All get a good shaking followed by a contemplative good sucking!
Hope you feel better. Shame about the malt though, perhaps I'l have one for you! Sounds like a recipie for an ideal weekend though.

November 27, 2007 at 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. What a sweet dog, taking good care of his momma like that.

Here's hoping the antibiotics kick in fast and that you feel better quickly.

November 27, 2007 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I hope you are feeling better:-( Low grade infections sound not so bad but they can feel worse than just about anything.

November 28, 2007 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

...hope you are feeling %100 soon!
in the meantime...take it easy!

November 28, 2007 at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home