Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day Scouting

Yup, it's the professor's first day back at school. The weather was appropriately cool (72) at 7 AM when the dogs and I walked him to the university. (well, you know, he might get lost!) His first class starts at 8 AM. We tried to be positive and supportive family members...but for the first time ever, I didn't feel left out by the start of school. I used to be a teacher, and obviously, I was a student for a long time...two grad. degrees worth. This summer, at least, I was very busy with a different kind of career, and it still seems too summery, too early, for school to begin anyway.

Instead, I will celebrate with Cast-on's Knitting Scout Badges. I'm not quite as rhapsodic about scouting as Brenda Dayne is--I made it through Brownies, but gave up shortly after I became a Girl Scout. The problem? There were no boys. Yes, Joanne the kid liked hanging out with guys. I didn't get along that well with girls; the cattiness, the pink barbie nature of it all, the secrets? I just didn't fit in. Oddly, I now spend a lot of time in a largely female work world. I do encounter male writers and editors, but they are few and far between--mostly the knitwear design folks, book editors, magazine editors, etc. are all women. As an adult, I find the sisterhood of it all very enjoyable--and very occasionally, yes, just as confusing as I found the secret pink Barbie club folk.






2 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Love those badges!!! How cute.

August 27, 2007 at 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol! I win! I wrote a knitting book that mentions that I didn't get to do Girl Scouts--wow. A badge! Now, where's that old Girl Scout leader so I can tell her I'm finally in the club. Yeehaw!

August 27, 2007 at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home