Tuesday, June 05, 2007

the journey

We spend a lot of time travelling on these trips, and now I have more images to show you from the journey...
This is the view from a gas station in Missouri. The sky is this wide. Really. There are rolling hills, and miles of prairie, interspersed by occasional trees. For someone from Virginia, the landscape was so different and amazing to see. I now understand how someone could watch clouds all day. The clouds were luminous, puffy, magnificent and changeable creatures. The sky was this blue...I didn't adjust the photos! In St. Charles, we sat outside for lunch, and we saw a dark storm cloud coming. One of the restaurant staff rushed to call relatives who lived further west. His uncle told him that the storm cloud passed over without rain. Everyone felt reassured that somebody's uncle predicted no rain during the lunch rush. I guess they can actually see the storm coming with skies this big.
Friendly pygora goats also enjoy a journey to a festival. These were almost like dogs--bleating for attention, able to come when called by name...amazing!
Here's the historic part of St. Charles that we just lucked out and found by accident...9 blocks parallel to the wide Missouri river, complete with historic re-enactors, shops, and great food.
The streets were brick and uneven, and the area was settled somewhere in the 1790's by the French and Spanish, before it became US territory. (I'm a little weak on Missouri history, forgive me.) We saw brick buildings built in the 1820's and onward. This is mighty old considering how far west it is--they got here via the river-- and I wondered how often or if the area flooded?
I wasn't kidding about the yarn store radar. If you look very carefully at this photo--you can see the sheep sign hanging underneath the 2nd story verandah on the building to the right of the picture. My nose twitches or something. I seem to always know...

The journey (literal and metaphoric) always leads me somewhere --where I wasn't expecting. I feel that way about your comments, too! I can't seem to respond to them via email--blogger doesn't let me find your emails--but I appreciate and read every comment. I follow the messages to your blogs. I'm a bit strapped for time at the moment, but please keep telling me what you think. I'm listening. I appreciate it. It's part of my journey, too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

How cool! And the goats are totally adorable!

I'm going crazy here. You too? *g*

June 5, 2007 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Ah, big sky. We lived in Surrey when we first moved to the UK. It's got hills and lots of trees and I discovered that storms could sneak up under cover and soak my washing. When we drove down the long road to the village where we live now, in East Anglia, I saw the sky open out over Flatland and it felt like coming home. The English equivalent of the Prairies.

You do realise there's a second book in the making? What you saw and what you learned as you travelled in search of yarn. Take lots of photos, you'll need them :-)

June 6, 2007 at 4:13 AM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I just love the fact that you and the professor go together. I can't wait for Michigan fiber fest!

June 6, 2007 at 5:20 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

What a wonderful, peaceful journey. From my vicarious seat anyways. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the book.

June 6, 2007 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Joanne. :)

June 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great pictures, and I love the goats! What wonderful adventures you are having on this journey.

June 7, 2007 at 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home