Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Episode 23

caption: lettuce in our garden. How much lettuce can we eat in half a week at home, half a week away scheduling? Is it wise to eat that much lettuce?

Episode 23:
(In which our heroine realizes that she is bound by the same laws of physics, gravity, and other frustrating details as all other mortals....like, for instance, the need to sleep.)

A week ago, I didn't know I was about to write a book or that everything work out to get a book deal. Since then, my credit card has just about run a marathon. I'm doing everything I can to set things up for the next few months--because, uhh, I'm going to 5 festivals in May and June. So far, I've got little things, you know, like plane reservations, hotels to stay in, cars rented, etc. through the first weekend in June. Today I also laid in enough dog food, wine, groceries, and other essentials to keep us going for the duration.

I've also had to make adjustments, which I am just now getting used to. I just bought a laptop and have to set it up this afternoon. That's because I'm some sort of jetsetter, at least through October. This conflicts with the old me, who stupidly bought a fleece (uhh, I'm also washing a fleece right now... Hello? Knock Knock-- Dumbhead Joanne?) and 5 pints of strawberries. You know, because they're in season so I should make jam. Did I mention that I started bread rising when I came home on Sunday night, and baked two loaves on Monday while doing laundry and my huge enormous new workload? Really, I should have a chaperone at all times until I adjust. So, I'm going downstairs to set up my new computer, wash and freeze all those berries for some other time, and ...last slip up... I invited someone over for dinner. Yup.

I'll work out the kinks soon. I hope. I guess I really thought that when I transitioned from a freelancer who wrote articles to someone who wrote books? You know, I'd just have magic powers or something. No sleep, eating optional, Mrs. Weasley knitting and cleaning powers, if you're up on your Harry Potter. Until then, I'm very sorry, but I've prioritized a little bit and I'm behind on reading some of the blogs I used to read. You're very important to me (whichever blog that is) and I'll catch up soon. Right after I finish the jam and the fleece is clean. Right. Whatever...I guess keeping up with everything just now is out of the question!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

It's life in the fast lane! And you thought you would calm down.... ;)

May 8, 2007 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Real Life comes first -- it has to. Prioritise, do what you have to do and fit virtual life into the gaps when you can.

If you had that much lettuce here... well, you wouldn't have that much lettuce here. The slugs and snails would have eaten it so you didn't have to worry. I wonder if I could convince myself that having to enter an armed struggle just to grow a little lettuce is a good thing?

May 9, 2007 at 3:19 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

take a deep breath and enjoy the festivals!!!!!

May 9, 2007 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Congratulations!!!!! That is awesome!!!!

May 9, 2007 at 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joanne, Take a deep breath and breathe. Go out to the garden, close your eyes and take a moment to relish the little things. Enjoy your fesitivals, revel in the thought that you are able to write about your love of all things fiber related. I am so proud of you!

May 10, 2007 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home