Monday, February 26, 2007

More February Magic

I've been between freelance projects and have some time on my hands. I could regale you with what's really going on, for instance, I'm wheezing away (asthma) or this...I saw a woman in her early 20's on the street today, perhaps 7 months pregnant and smoking. I nearly stopped to yell at her. I was sorely tempted.

However, I want this blog to be cheerful (yea! fake cheerful!) so here are some neat things I've been doing. I'm reading The Faith Club and thoroughly enjoying it. It's refreshing to see three intelligent, thoughtful women talk about religion, the thing that's on everyone's mind but that some consider taboo to talk about in polite company. Best part? My fabulous local library had this book available for check-out, right after I heard the review on NPR.


I don't miss the hustle and bustle of big city living when it's stressful, but I do miss the perks of living in the nation's capitol. While I was visiting the ancestral Seiff home, I bought Last-Minute Knitted Gifts at a used bookshop. It's a clever book, good designs, and I'm a big fan of the editor. The shop gave me an extra dollar off because of a little nick in the book jacket. Here's the DC quirk:

Yep, see this? The Library of Congress had two of this book, so I got the extra. It's like being held up in traffic for the president's motorcade, bound to happen to you sooner or later if you live in and around DC. I've gotten soft, I think, because a true Washingtonian would say, "Whatever," but this struck me as pretty cool.

This weekend the professor got out to the garden and planted seeds: radishes, lettuces and onions, in and around the mache and arugula that's already growing there. Here's a photo of a particularly tasty looking bit of mache. I'm saving it to eat when there are other garden greens, too.


This is our first daffodil. A little droopy, but a harbinger of things to come.

6 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

As a child I was expected to hold intelligent conversations with my father's business clients. At the tender age of eight I quoted Ashton ('power corrupts...') during a discussion of Johnson's involvement in Vietnam. I must have been insufferable. There were two rules: never begin two sentences in a row with 'I', and never, ever discuss religion :-)

The Library of Congress thing strikes me as cool, too. Mind you, a copyright library strikes me as absolute zero. Speaking of which, it's warming here too. Must get plastic out to warm the vegetable patch.

February 27, 2007 at 3:44 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I love the Library of Congress thingy is really cool. I am quite envious hearing about your garden. I cannot believe it is already time for cool weather veggies. One of these days I will get in gear and do the things I most love, one being gardening. Well until the July heat sets in. :)

February 27, 2007 at 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is macho exactly? The book you are reading sounds intriguing. I'll have to check out my local library.

February 27, 2007 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Marti, at first I thought you were saying someone was being macho (as in machismo?) but I think maybe you meant MACHE. Doh! Mache is also called "lamb's quarters." It's a cold weather salad green, often included in mesclun. Along with arugula, it's the only thing in our greens bed at the moment...

February 27, 2007 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

That book is on my list. I heard the three authors on Diane Rehm one day when I was driving someplace for a dentist appointment. I tend to think religion is the root of all evil, so if your neighbors are bothered by you they'd LOVE me, but the book still interested me.

February 28, 2007 at 7:03 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

i'm glad you're enjoying the faith book!

February 28, 2007 at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home