Friday, February 02, 2007

calm.

I heard all your helpful images and sugggestions. I remembered, Hey, these are only stressful things about my job, the professor's job, and our life here. I put it into context. The world is a mess right now. I'm warm, overly well fed, and my spouse and dogs love me. I'm just fine.
I was lucky enough to wake up to this snowy scene. Not only do I like snow, I wish for more of it, but I have to be satisfied with what little I get...it's mostly melted, but here's what it looked like.

I finished this. You were right, knitting is calming. This is a table runner. I talked about this, and why I knit it, all the way back in June but I've had a request for the pattern, so I needed to knit another sample. I was happy to oblige, and not just because I had enough Euroflax left to do a second one out of the same skein! A miracle. In fact, I skeined the leftover ball, figured out the yardage, subtracted that from the amount on the ball band, and hey, wow--this is how to figure out the actual yardage used when it is less than a skein.


I'm going to be travelling this weekend, and I wanted to pass along this newfound, fragile calm. I'm so calm that I didn't even get upset because our clothes dryer seems to be broken. No heat, and I'm leaving tomorrow, and my wet clothes are draped around my basement and back porch. Oh well. I wish I were one of those people who just always hung out clothes to dry instead, but I haven't achieved that level of eco-goodness yet. My guess is that we'll have the dryer fixed, and keep it from ending up in a landfill. There, that's not a bad solution...although not as good in the long term as drying outside or an energy efficient dryer or or...oops. Losing my calm. Back to calming thoughts. Hmmm.

I'll leave you with one of the little, uneventful things that coax me into a smile, even despite these little hiccups in life like soaking wet clothes.

Sally has a new hobby. She collects and sorts and organizes all the dog toys. On the crocheted roving dog living room rug, she's organized all the plastic bones. Now here, on the office futon, that this is the place for stuffed squeaky toys and one dog towel for damp days. Harry messes up her organization every day, and she must clean up. It's no wonder why Sally was destined to find a home with us. She organizes and sorts just like the professor studies fruit flies and moths. Too bad she doesn't clean up for me the way she cleans up after Harry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

We all need a Sally :)

I hope you carry this calm through your travelling weekend.

February 2, 2007 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Be calm. Few things in life are worth the anguish we're capable of lavishing on them -- measured by Deep Time, we're less than mayflies. Change what you can and try not to fret about the things you can't alter.

What chance you could persuade Sally to put everyone else's stuff away too?

February 3, 2007 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

i hope the trip goes well. You will be in my thoughts. Some of the bumps in the road like to act like ruts but I know you will be able to handle it.

February 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

sally must be a virgo :-)

February 4, 2007 at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home