Sunday, January 21, 2007

mysteries

I was so grateful for all your comments and emails. Things seemed a little dire there, but the professor finally came home to liven things up... He saw this, on his side of the bed:

Gasp! He said, with a big grin. Do you think...it's-- moths? (haha) Dear Herr Doctor just caught 60 buckeye butterflies on his research trip. Professor's note: There are hundreds of varieties of butterflies and moths, of which wool moths are a very small number. No, these huge tears in the lightweight Scottish wool throw weren't done by moths. We strongly suspect Harry the dog. He may have been burying a nylabone...but this remains a mystery. Luckily this blankie wasn't expensive and we aren't (ahem) too ripped up about it.

Other mysteries have taken up my waking hours. These toe up socks, for instance, are knit out of some lovely yarn...in a poor photo. It appears to be mercerized cotton? in a white, sage green, pale blue stripey blend. It knits up at 6 sts to an inch on a 2.75mm. I got it for a $1 a ball a few months back at Picasso's Moon in Sarasota, Florida. I'll definitely go back there, it was a great shop. It was a dollar a ball because it didn't have a ball band that told me what kind of yarn it was. Anyone who might be able to solve the mystery? Please leave a comment!

On Friday afternoon, I rushed to tidy up our house and make Shabbat dinner for our guests. The phone rang while I vacuumed. I ran to answer it, since it was still technically business hours. Another (unfortunate) mystery...this time, an ascerbic elderly woman's voice, with a European, perhaps German accent, brusquely commenting on my religion, expecting I'd convert to Christianity, and then hanging up on me. Her number appears to be unlisted, this is the second time she's called. The first time, she told me I came from hell, and was going to hell. Next time, I'm calling the cops. Obviously something I've written has hit a nerve there, but this unpleasantness has to stop!

As to dinner, no mystery there--roast garlic chicken, roasted potatoes, carrots, Jerusalem artichokes, homemade challah, dilly beans, pinot grigio and apple/blueberry crumble. We enjoyed the meal and the company. On Saturday, we heard a great lecture at our synagogue in Nashville from one of my grad school professors, Dr. Jack Sasson.

I've spun up some of the Cormo wool with beads and pink thread. In the background, two skeins of brown wool, one plied with llama and the other with camel. The gray weather doesn't encourage good photos today, so these yarns' appearance....guess what? unless you click on the photo to make it bigger... it'll remain a mystery. On my iPod while spinning? uhhh, here goes...The Cereal Murders by Diane Mott Davidson. You've got it this time...ready? A culinary mystery.

5 Comments:

Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Oh I love Diane Mott Davidson:-)

I guess there are still people out there like that huhn. Disturbing.

We all need to continue what we are doing and support our communties and educate people. I think once people get to know each other they see more similarities than differences.

Way to go Joanne!

January 22, 2007 at 5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I have made a study of either religion or intolerance, but surely if that woman was secure within her faith, she'd be less inclined to threaten yours? Perhaps you are just the most convenient 'outsider' on whom she can vent her fear. Definitely disturbing in any case.

Perhaps Harry was trying to unearth/uncover the (at the time) missing Professor :-)

January 22, 2007 at 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez, you would think that people would wise up. after all, we are supposed to be the grown ups and setting a good example. you my dear, have set one of the best examples i know of, both in the knitting and other realms of life.

January 22, 2007 at 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old lady or not, what she's doing isn't "unpleasantness" it's stalking and a hate crime. Call the cops. They can subpoena phone records and find out where the call came from.

January 23, 2007 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Adele said...

Does that series of books take place on CO, the 'sleuth' is a caterer and there are always recipes included? I read a couple of them that a friend had several years ago - they're fun. I'll have to see if the library has more, now that you've given me the author's name.

I don't understand why some people are so intolerant. But sometimes they can change. My mother told my roommate senior year in college that she was going to hell because she had converted to Catholicism. (My little sister, who was about 14 at the time, was so embarrassed that she left the room and sat in the car until they were ready to leave.) However, later Mother accepted two Catholic grandchildren.

January 24, 2007 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home