Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Picklelicious

This is an everyday, at home sort of story. We went to New Jersey for my brother-in-law's engagement party. Hurray! Ok, I have to admit, before marrying into a NYC family, I'd never heard of an engagement party. Weddings, yes. Rehearsal dinner, of course. Wedding showers, absolutely. Even the odd bachelor/ette party. However, those Yankees enjoy a party to celebrate the engagement, too. They wanted to tell me, no, this is a normal thing, everyone does it, everywhere. I said, uhh, not among us Southern Jews...anyhow, now I'm part of the family, I go to some of the parties. They even threw one for me. Who knew?




Anyhow, before the big event, we had a chance to go to the Morristown Farmer's Market, which was really fun. We bought flowers for the family member throwing the party, hard sheep's cheese that could travel in the suitcase, and ....pickles. A 3/4 sour pickle for each of us. It came on a stick, so we could walk around. It was yummy, and I'd never had a pickle on a stick before!
If you're in that area of the world, I recommend Picklelicious. Since I don't live near this pickle mecca, I made my own sour dills this week from the garden cukes. They're pretty good--but nothing like as good as Guss'_Pickles, my husband's all-time favorite.


When we got home, we discovered that Harry didn't feel so good. "Cough, Cough, Mom, rub my belly..." so now the guy is on doggy antibiotics. Apparently doggy antibiotics didn't agree with him this morning, so uhh, now I've had to clean up the dining room rug yet again. Why does everyone get sick on that rug? I'm beginning to think, you know, maybe I don't need a rug there. Hardwood floors? Just fine without the rug? I'm thinking. The rug is drying.

Meanwhile, in a futile attempt to stall on writing a big proposal-thingee, (oh, my brain hurts!)I've finally been spinning again. I finished this fine 4 oz of Cormo:
This thing took me all summer. No kidding. I bought the dang stuff at Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. It took me forever, which is partly because of lack of interest. It was hot, and maybe I'm not a fine soft wool thin spinning kind of gal right now in my life. I removed the bobbin from the wheel, stuffed it in a basket (I'll ply it or do something with it later. I don't want to see it again for a while.)

In its stead? A worsted weight Cotswold and Silk single ply. I finished this in an hour. No kidding!! I also spun another bobbin the next day. I'm working on one a day, I think. Amazing how a bit of cool weather and a change can make all the difference!
Please, leave me a comment. Tell me about your favorite pickle. Your coughing pet? Your proposal thingee? Or handspun adventures? I know you're out there. I hear some of you are even reading regularly...but how would I know?!

7 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I should be off to babysit the neighbour's cat and rabbits, but how can I resist? I don't make many pickles as he prefers his meat plain and in quantity. Last year's refrigerator pickles made with home-grown cucumbers were, um, awesome. Both in taste and quantity; I hadn't realised how fast and furious (the fruits were a bit spiny) cucumbers would be when they built up speed/leaf area. When the local supermarket ceased to stock Bick's Hamburger Relish I found a recipe online for an equivalent that is so good I ignored the bottles of Bick's when they reappeared. Pickled eggs are always popular (with him, not me). I like piccalilli, but have not yet found a recipe that tastes 'right'. Despite the fact that pears are carpeting our lawn and drive I am NOT making pear chutney this year. I've still got some left from the last surplus, 6 years ago.

Lovely yarn, BTW. Not that my judgement is worth much, but it looks lovely to me!

September 13, 2006 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I hope Harry is feeling better!

Iranian's engauagement parties are almost as important as the big day.

We midwesterners don't do that sort of thing either so I was surprised.

They also change clothes between the wedding and the rehersal!

September 13, 2006 at 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'm a freak for pickles. Gedney Zingers are my faves for a quick fix, but that is both a sour and a hot, so it needs to be followed quickly by a Diet Coke. Still haven't made my home version of Pickle Dogs, but a couple people I work with have on my suggestion so I should get with the program.

Poor puppy! Tummy aches are no fun!

September 13, 2006 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Bridget has actually been sort of cough/sneezing for two days - but other than that she acts just fine so I'm reserving judgement. In a cat her age it could mean anything from dust in her nose to heart failure.

My cormo took forever to spin too, because it wanted to be so fine. I wish I had been a better plyer when I plyed the yarn, as it's too tight. Sigh. Oh well I will try again as I have 3 pounds of cormo fleece in a pillowcase in the basement...

September 14, 2006 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

No coughing pets, no proposals, no handspinning. Love the Cotswold/Silk though, just gorgeous. Wish I could come and watch over your shoulder

September 14, 2006 at 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs to Harry. I'm seriously envious of your beautiful spinning but pickles aren't high on my list of loves!

September 17, 2006 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Rémy said...

I'm sorry that Harry wasn't feeling well, Cookie (our dog, whom you have not met) hasn't been feeling well this week, I wonder if I didnt take whatever Harry was getting and bring it over here with me. O well, Chag Sameach in advance.

September 17, 2006 at 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home