Wednesday, June 28, 2006

the big 8

Well, finally, after 11 days of travelling, the itinerant husband came home. Hurray! Three days after that, my parents came for a visit. I was very busy being a hostess, daughter, wife, and dog-mom. I cooked a lot while my parents were visiting. On Friday night, we had roast chicken, potatoes, salad from our garden and an apple chocolate chip cake. The salad is jokingly referred to as the $800 salad, since we spent so much creating a lead-free garden. Right now, our produce is worth its weight in gold, but it is very good. On Monday night, we had some guests over, and I served homemade vegetarian spring rolls, salad from the garden with herbs, two kinds of quiche, homemade coleslaw, bread, and for dessert, homemade passionfruit sorbet, organic blackberry ice cream, and some lovely fruit salad brought by our guests. We ate well. The quiches came out really well so I snapped a photo:
The sweet one is up top: Parsnip, Carrot and Squash Crust, sundried tomatoes, basil, dill, summer savory, and one or two cherry tomatoes from the garden, along with locally produced swiss cheese, eggs and milk
Bottom quiche is the savory one: potato onion crust, swiss chard and onions, sage, thyme, and parsley, swiss cheese, eggs and milk.

Then the parents left after a good visit and we all settled into our quiet life again...interspersed with occasional barking, of course. Last week we celebrated the husband's 33rd birthday and today we celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. The husband woke up early and made me a really nice breakfast. I got to do yoga for a little while, and so far, it hasn't hurt at all! I tried not to overdo it this time. (just wait until tomorrow, I know.) I got offered a really nice freelance writing gig for a big magazine. I finished the knitting of the first of the three sweater jackets and all the pieces are blocking right now. All is really good.

It seems to me that people make such a big deal over weddings, first, fifth or tenth anniversaries or big number birthdays. The thing is, I can't figure out why. Every year, heck, every day, is a fabulous milestone! The important parts of relationships or of life are so wrapped up in the every day. A dinner with friends, a sunny day, a long walk with a dog or two. I'm so lucky to have little quiet happy days like this one. I'll leave you with a photo a friend snapped of us this past winter. It was just an ordinary day...kind of like this one. A good day.
.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that!

And I want your recipes for the quiches, please.

June 28, 2006 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Kerry, the recipes are sort of umm, made up. I used the crust recipes in Molly Katzen's Moosewood and Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbooks. In one of those cookbooks, she gives a "make your own" quiche plan. Produce the crust (I used grated veggie recipes) put 1-3 cup grated cheese (swiss or cheddar) on the cooked crust to keep it sealed from the veggies. Then pop in your veggies and herbs, and then put a custard of 3 eggs and 1 cup milk beaten together...but you can use yogurt or buttermilk if you don't have enough milk. I put in a little yogurt cause I ran out of milk. If you don't have either of these cookbooks or you need more details, let me know. I'll try to be more scientific!

June 28, 2006 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Good to hear from you again, especially in such contentment. I cherish days crowned by small triumphs (learning a new sock heel) and warmed by friends. Pilates class last night -- I ache a bit, but it's good.

Apple chocolate chip is an intriguing combination. Hadn't thought of that...

June 29, 2006 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Rémy said...

Wow, those quiches look amazing. I'll have to give them a shot. A friend is giving me a recipe for ricotta gnocchis...I think it should be pretty easy actually, but this summer I'm all about some homemaking (I'm sewing my halloween costume this summer too).

I loved the comment about that every day is a milestone, I'll have to remember that.

I'd write more but then I wouldn't have as much to say later today when I see you.

July 2, 2006 at 3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home